Highlighted

Re: pee rags....good or bad?

My pee rag may very well be my favorite piece of gear! I love it so much, in fact, that I've raved about my pee rag in a few REI Backpacking Expert Advice videos Smiley LOL 

I used to use an old (clean) bandana, and wash/rinse it every night or morning. Between uses, I'd attach it to my pack to air out. Recently, I made myself a designated pee rag with some scrap fabric and a piece of waterproof material, but I'll probably invest in a Kula Cloth sooner or later!

Before I used a pee rag, I would just shake off and carry on, so it's a definite upgrade for me in cleanliness and comfort. I'd love to hear what you decide!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I second that, third actually.  Kula Cloth all the way!  Heart

0 Likes
Highlighted

I had not heard of pee rags until now, interesting. I've always been a shake and go kinda gal, except on multi-day trips where I would use a Freshette (which I love). Will look into this more, thank you.

Highlighted

As noted here, a lot of women use an old bandana or a Kula Cloth as a pee rag. Others use cut up fabric, some with sewn edges if you want to get fancy. Flannel or t-shirt material can be a good choice. But, I've been using old, cut-up towels and baby wash cloths left over from when my kiddo was little. I also have a couple of cloth baby wipes from when my kiddo was in diapers. I use those with a waterproof, travel-sized diaper sack that's meant for dirty cloth diapers. Again, it's something that I had leftover from my kiddo's diapering days. So, it was easy to repurpose it when I came up with this idea several years ago (before I heard folks talking about pee rags for outdoor use). I know some folks like to reuse the same cloth. Genearlly speaking, I don't. I might use a larger piece a couple of times, using a clean part of it with each pee. Then the dirty ones go into the wet sack to be laundered when I get home. No big deal! 

I don't use toilet paper or pee rags.  I use a peri-bottle.  

Highlighted

The Kula Cloth is great and has many advantages over a pee-rag including your hands stay clean, it’s discreet hanging from your pack. 
Women in western states have an advantage in that it is much drier there and the long term collection of moisture in sensitive areas is usually not an issue but for other parts of the country women must deal with frequent precipitation and higher humidity. The Kula cloth dries quickly in the west and I could rinse it out everyday. But on a recent trip in the Midwest it rained nearly everyday and rendered my Kula cloth unusable because it became saturated and could not dry. I used TP and packed it out. 
Do women in the wetter areas of the country have methods for maintaining good hygiene?

0 Likes