Highlighted

Re: pee rags....good or bad?

@happyhiker

Thank you so much for your post!  I loved that you asked as I've wondered about this myself, but just never thought of asking on here.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

A friend of mine did a fabulous post on her blog Wandering Pine about how to pee etc in the woods. She includes info about pee rags and bidets and other feminine backwoods hygiene.  things. https://wanderingpine.com/2019/07/13/backcountry-hygiene-how-to-pee-poop-and-period-like-a-pro/?fbcl...

Highlighted

AMAZING READ!   I just learned about portable bidets.  I will definitely be checking out other posts on Wandering Pine's blog!  Thank you for sharing this gem with us : ]

0 Likes
Highlighted

My pee rag may very well be my favorite piece of gear! I love it so much, in fact, that I've raved about my pee rag in a few REI Backpacking Expert Advice videos Smiley LOL 

I used to use an old (clean) bandana, and wash/rinse it every night or morning. Between uses, I'd attach it to my pack to air out. Recently, I made myself a designated pee rag with some scrap fabric and a piece of waterproof material, but I'll probably invest in a Kula Cloth sooner or later!

Before I used a pee rag, I would just shake off and carry on, so it's a definite upgrade for me in cleanliness and comfort. I'd love to hear what you decide!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I had not heard of pee rags until now, interesting. I've always been a shake and go kinda gal, except on multi-day trips where I would use a Freshette (which I love). Will look into this more, thank you.

Highlighted

As noted here, a lot of women use an old bandana or a Kula Cloth as a pee rag. Others use cut up fabric, some with sewn edges if you want to get fancy. Flannel or t-shirt material can be a good choice. But, I've been using old, cut-up towels and baby wash cloths left over from when my kiddo was little. I also have a couple of cloth baby wipes from when my kiddo was in diapers. I use those with a waterproof, travel-sized diaper sack that's meant for dirty cloth diapers. Again, it's something that I had leftover from my kiddo's diapering days. So, it was easy to repurpose it when I came up with this idea several years ago (before I heard folks talking about pee rags for outdoor use). I know some folks like to reuse the same cloth. Genearlly speaking, I don't. I might use a larger piece a couple of times, using a clean part of it with each pee. Then the dirty ones go into the wet sack to be laundered when I get home. No big deal! 

Highlighted

I don't use toilet paper or pee rags.  I use a peri-bottle.  

Highlighted

short story, I took a group, which included several ladies, on a week long backpacking trip in the Bridger Wilderness, WY, a few summers ago.

In the morning, my nose tends to run, so hang my 'nose bandana' on the front strap of my pack so I can get to it and it can dry out.

I distinctly remember noticing that several ladies had multiple bandanas hanging from their packs and I remember wondering about it, but shrugged it off...'hey, I also have a few bandanas that come in handy'.

One day, after the tents were up, and pretty spread out, I was walking around taking photos, when I stumbled upon a bright yellow bandana laying on the tall grass, in a field between 2 tents.

Thinking, of course, that it must of fell from someone's pack, I began to stoop and pick it up, when all hell broke loose!  "DON'T TOUCH IT!"

I froze, "WHAT?,  Someone's lost their bandana", "Don't touch it, I'll get it!"

Puzzled, I walked on.  Later, someone confided to me, that the bandana was 'drying' in the sun. Learn something every trip!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

I've used p-kits for traveling. Biodegradable. compact. Really useful when there is no bathroom and you don't have to wash it out and let it dry.

Highlighted

I know this is an older post, BUT I've been using these odor-proof barrier bags to pack out my TP, and have not used a pee rag for the other reasons mentioned below.  When I get home, I throw away the TP and thoroughly sterilize the bag for reuse (labeled as the TP bag) on the next trip.  I highly recommend the OPSAK they sell at REI for this purpose.  🙂  Just one other option/method to consider that I didn't see in the comments.  I live in the south and hike here regularly, and the humidity and rain can make other methods difficult, in my experience.

https://www.rei.com/product/884266/loksak-opsak-odor-proof-barrier-bags-10-x-9-package-of-2

Featured