Highlighted

outdoor life while employed fulltime

How can women (and especially single women) who are still employed full time stay connected to outdoor activities? (Oh, and there's a dog, as well.)

Highlighted

Re: outdoor life while employed fulltime

Become a weekend warrior!  I try to utilze the weekend as much as possible by working an extra hour each day M-Th so I can take off early on Friday and get a head start on the weekend. 

It's also possible to devote time during the week by going on a short hike,bike ride or trial run during an hour lunch.  Early mornings before work are ideal times to get in some outdoor time as well! 

And yes Fido can join you on all those adventures - mini or not so mini - just make sure to bring enough water for both of you!

Highlighted

I used to head out for a trail run along a canal in my area for 4-5 miles each morning.  It was nice and quiet, devoid of all but a few early birds like me who were walking/ running/ cycling.  Hearing the birds and getting away from the traffic was a great way to energize my day. Other than that, I definitely plan weekends around getting out and at least one vacation around something in nature I'd like to see or do.  Planning for the trips and reading/ looking at pictures of others trips definitely helps too!

0 Likes
Highlighted

In my experience it's a matter of knowing what you have available to you in your area. 

I like to look at areas around my city (LA) that are no more than a comfortable enough drive away that I can hit up on the weekends for say, a day hike or just 1 overnight trip. Spend your work week reading up on local outdoors areas and their Jurisdicitons. Sometimes calling the ranger station of areas you're intersted in is SUPER helpful since they know exactly what's available to people in their areas. I found this to be a great way to get out there more and also realize how many different areas you have available to you even in a populated city. Hope that helps. Good luck out there and be safe!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Go on Meetup.com and look for doggy hiking groups! I found one in my area about 10 years ago, and we go out pretty much every weekend. We go to local parks, get our exercise, socialize, and have a great time watching our doggies enjoy life. We have such a great time.

Highlighted

Although I am not a mom,  I work full time. I am outdoors if I am not at work. I am involved in social kayak & cycling groups as well as I volunteer with local adaptive sports groups that need support kayakers & cyclists. It commits me to being there & I'm helping others while being outside! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I try to complete chores and errands during the week after work so the weekends are wide open for adventure 🙂 finding quick activities close to home you can do in a couple of hours is helpful too. Recently mine has been tubing in a river 10 minutes away! Other ideas are nearby trails for an evening stroll with the doggo or a park/open space for a picnic dinner.

Highlighted

I organize trips myself and invite other people to join me. The trick for me is to always have some kind of  backpacking,  rafting,  or camping trip planned for a few months off so that 1) I have to get in shape for it and 2) I have something to look forward to.  Sometimes I end up going solo or having to cancel a reservation because nobody else wanted to go, but usually it all works out.  The key is, get the trip on your calendar!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @peregrina.  I am not a woman, but hopefully you will find my ideas helpful.  I participate in my local parks and recreation co-ed sports leagues (volleyball, flag football, dodgeball, disc golf, etc) and have met numerous people with similar interests in the outdoors.  Several of us have formed an unofficial hiking group and try to do a day-hike or bike ride every weekend.  Oftentimes we are joined by other participants from the rec league, both men and women.  We also camp occasionally, and kayak.  By meeting in that more neutral territory of the rec leagues, we got to know one-another before venturing into the woods.  I think it's important that you undertake outdoor activities with people that you know, like, and trust.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic region, and, while there aren't a lot of national parks with sweeping vistas, like out west, there are a surprising number of local and state parks and hiking trails, with a variety of terrain, scenery and wildlife.

@Mel and @speakerpdal both had good ideas.  Be a weekend warrior and learn what's available in your area.  All Trails is a good resource, as is your local Department of Natural Resources and/or Parks department. And of course there is also the REI Camping Project, and if you have an REI store nearby, you can attend one of their educational sessions, or even just talk to the "Green Vests" and other shoppers.  You are certain to get a wealth of good ideas!

Good luck, and enjoy your new adventures! 

0 Likes
Featured