Best hiking / exercise gear for curvy women

I'm planning a road trip to some of the national parks, and I'm in search of some great casual / hiking wear. I have the hardest time with outdoor-wear and REI's clothes being a curvy person - they are just not meant to fit a size 14/16 person with an hourglass figure.

I'd love some breezy tops / yoga tops, shorts and light pants or leggings. My husband LOVES REI and buys most of his casual wear here, and it makes me jealous.

What recommendations does the community have? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Best hiking / exercise gear for curvy women

Hey there @rarsauce!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! 

As a curvy woman myself, I can understand some of the challenges with finding the right fit.  As a result I mostly steer away from a structured pant and have leaned into leggings pretty heavily.  No regrets here!

Right now my absolute favorite leggings are the REI Take Your Time Leggings.  What I love most about them is how soft and breathable they are, high-waisted, and they have deep pockets!  A close second would be the REI Active Pursuits Capri.

I recently bought this Columbia tank top and love the fit, not to mention it is currently at a great price!  I also love the look and feel of the Prana Reylian top.   

Hope this helps and enjoy your road trip!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@rarsauceI consider myself curvy as well, at least on the bottom.  I've had success with Kuhl Splash Roll-up Pants because they're higher in the back of the waist, are stretchy, and I can go one size up for my hips and thighs and use the draw string to cinch up extra room in the waist.  I also avoid any convertible pants--as the zipper always tends to hit at the wrong part of my thigh and keep me from extending my leg on high step-ups on the trail.  Sizes 14/16 definitely show in a regular search, but did you know that if you add the phrase "extended sizes" to any search string in REI.com, you will get plus sizes?  This might help if you want to try my trick with sizing up.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm probably too late for your trip but for future reference: if you aren't too put off by the expensive prices, I've found a lot to love at Athleta (particularly their Trekkie hike pants and shorts and their Headlands cargo tights). Super comfortable, flexible, quick-drying, high quality, just all around perfect for outdoor adventures. I'm a huge fan, their clothing holds up on international travels to backyard camping shenanigans.

Featured