Highlighted

SCUBA

I know that REI isn't a scuba supplier, but I am curious if any fellow kayaker's also like being under the water as well and where are some of their favorite spots to dive.

Stay safe and I'll see you on the trails!
Highlighted

Re: SCUBA

Hey Brandonkconwart6,

Love this question!

Huge SCUBA fan. 

My favorite (Warm water) spot so far is really anywhere near Fort Lauderdale Florida. You can charter a boat or just walk off the beach. Crystal clear water and a ton of life all around. I'd have to look at my log book to get any actual site names. I've done the Australia and Puerto Rico but Florida is still the top of my list.

Fave cold water spots Lake Michigan has a ton of wrecks that are fun, but I also love the random quarry dives, Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL is where I got my first Cert and there is something to be said about low viz dives that becomes addicting. Adventure at every turn!  I have yet to blend my love of kayaking and SCUBA but you may have sparked something!

What are your fave spots?!?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Cayos Cochinos

Highlighted

@brandonkcowart6 - Also love to scuba!

I've only gone warm water scuba diving in Florida where I grew up. 

Now that I'm living in WA I have yet to try the cold water diving! I've heard WA has some great diving spots. 

My dream is to dive with the whale sharks in Mexico (or somewhere warm!)

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Me and my wife both got certified in the Florida springs and took our honeymoon in Jamaica with 85 degree water! 

So yeah I am right there with you! I assume you would need to go get your dry suit first.

Stay safe and I'll see you on the trails!
0 Likes
Highlighted

So Cal resident here. I've found that most places off the coast is a great spot. I'd look for Kelp patties on the water while driving along the coast. Populated areas are not so great, so avoid big areas like Santa Monica pier. Places like Malibu are great and also palos Verdes. If you've got the cash for it, going to Catalina or Channel Islands are great spots as they're less trafficed imo. Biggest point though, if you go SCUBA out here make sure the wave action and wind are lower, since that makes for better visibility! Stay safe out there!

Featured