Recommendation for first kayak purchase

I'm buying my first kayak and will use almost exclusively in slow running rivers.  Based on an in-store REI conversation, I'm focusing on 10-footers for maneuverability.  I have two concerns.  Size - I'm 6' 4" with long legs.  Material - I was warned to be careful about durability to ensure it could withstand the likely collisions with rocks in low-lying parts of a river.  So...I searched REI.com and came up with the Eddyline Caribbean 109.  It seemed to fit the bill but I'm not sure of the material.  It's ABS Plastic.  What do you think of this model re: Size and Material?  Thanks.

Don  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Recommendation for first kayak purchase

@DDKCCM Thanks for reaching out!

It sounds like you got some good advice in-store. The Eddyline Caribbean 109 is a great kayak and you are correct: the 10' length will definitely provide you with maneuverability on the river. In terms of size, it doesn't look like there is much difference in the cockpit length from the 10' to the 12' model. Depending on how long your legs are, you may want to reach out to Eddyline to check on the exact specifications as they are not listed on their website. If the 12' version gives you even an inch or two in cockpit length for your legs that could make a huge difference in your experience on the water. We tried to call them to get the information, however, they are closed on the weekends. You can reach them during normal business hours (pacific time) at (360)-757-2300.

ABS Plastic is a solid option for a kayak. It is a very durable plastic and should stand up to the normal rigors of kayaking. Most kayaks are eight ABS plastic or Polyethylene, both of which are known for their durability.

Hopefully this helps and you can get out on the water soon!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@DDKCCM 

Thanks for getting back to us via email with your additional question. We're going to answer it here in the community so it can help out other users who may be looking for similar information.

Unfortunately, REI has only one hard sided tandem kayak available to order right now. That kayak is the Hobie Mirage Compass Duo Sit-On-Top Tandem Kayak and is a pedal driven tandem kayak. All of the rest of the tandem kayaks we have in stock and available to order are foldable or inflatable. We can check in with our buying team and see if we have plans to get more in, however, if we had orders arriving in the next 30 days they would be visible on REI.com and available to backorder.

In the meantime, here are a couple tandem kayaks that would likely work well for you:

Hopefully that helps, please let us know if you have any other questions!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@DDKCCM 

We just spoke with one of our kayak buyers and wanted to give you a head's up that the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Tandem Sit-on-Top Kayak just became available for backorder on REI.com. You are able to order it and it will ship when it arrives in our distribution center, likely in the next 30 days. I've paddled this kayak before and it is a really stable and fun boat to paddle.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members