Highlighted

Recommendation: appropriate swimwear for winter surfing in Maine

Hi guys!
On 22-Mar of this month, we will go to Old Orchard Beach, Maine.
Do you please suggest, what kind of swimming costume i will prefer?
Height: 5' 10''
Weight: 158 lbs

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Suggestions for appropriate swimwear

@georg3441 thanks for reaching out! We'll likely need a little more information before anyone can make a helpful suggestion. What kinds of activities are you planning to do in Maine? Will you be swimming, paddling, stand-up paddleboarding, surfing or something else? Let us know your activity plans and we'll provide some ideas. In the meantime, you might some helpful guidance in one of our Expert Advice articles on Watersports.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

I have a plan for swimming and surfing. That's why i already bought a surfboard and goggle.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@georg3441 Thanks for getting back to us!

Surfing in Maine in winter is serious business, you're a hardy soul! I lived in Boston for a few years and I remember talking to some surfers who would go out in the winter. For temperatures that low, you're going to need a wetsuit in the 5-6mm range. A 6/5mm or a 6/4mm would be preferable. REI carries the O'Neill PsychoTech 5.5/4mm Wetsuit for surfing in winter, but 4mm will likely be pushing the limits of the ocean temperatures in Maine. Additionally, you'll want a pair of 7mm neoprene booties and mittens to fight off the cold. Unfortunately, REI doesn't carry any booties or mittens thick enough to face those temperatures.

Your best bet would be to visit a local surf shop and ask what the best wetsuit, booties, and gloves are for the conditions. Who knows, you may be able to rent the gear you need!

Best of luck on your trip, stay warm!

Highlighted

Thanks @REI-JohnJ 
In this corona situation, we canceled our trip. After removing the global red alert, we will go, Leon Province, Nicaragua...

0 Likes
Highlighted

@georg3441 I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, but appreciate the caution. Enjoy your time in Nicaragua, I just had a couple of friends visit there and it looks amazing!

@REI-JohnJ thanks.

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members