Highlighted

Kayak rescue training

I've just finished building my first seakayak and have been paddling a local lake. I've taken an REI course in basic kayaking years ago, too many years ago for sure. I'd like to practice the whole tip over and recover process a few times to gain confidence but not sure how to do that in the COVID-era. I hope to retake a course when things return to normal.

In the meantime, any ideas on how to practice?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Kayak rescue training

Hi @mtappan,

One thing I would suggest is finding a calm body of water that you can practice self-rescuing (or even a swimming pool if you have one large/deep enough haha). If this is something new to you, perhaps look for a buddy that could join. Also, MAKE SURE TO WEAR A LIFE JACKET ALWAYS, NOT JUST WHILE PRACTICING! 

Here is a video from REI that provides a clear explanation of the basic self-rescue technique for kayaking. There are other techniques as well, but this is a good place to start! 

I've been kayaking nearly my entire life (I'm 23 years old), so let me know if you have any questions!

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Highlighted

Re: Kayak rescue training

You don't need a class to practice self rescue.As above,wear a PFD always and it is a good idea to have a buddy nearby.  You undoubtedly will get to practice self exits as well, but it is really great when it actually works.

Featured
Top liked members