Highlighted

Kayak rack recommendation for a car with no roof rails

I’m looking for a recommendation for a kayak rack that can be used on a car that doesn’t have roof rails. Thank you! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Kayak racks

Hey there @Ashjadams11 !

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! In order to help you out, can you provide some more details about your vehicle? Make, model, and year of the car will help us make a recommendation. 

Additionally, both Thule and Yakima offer comprehensive fit guidance that can help you make the right decision!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I drive a 2012 Hyundai sonata. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Ashjadams11 Great!

The first option I’d suggest is the Riverside Universal Car Top Kayak Carrier . This is a great option for people who do not have side rails and want a quick fix for transporting a kayak.

If you decide that you’d like the versatility of carrying other items as well, I am including both the Thule and Yakima base rack recommendations for your specific vehicle.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Kayak rack recommendation for a car with no roof rails

If you are going to be transporting your kayak any distance at all, or on Interstates at speed, I recommend the Thule or Yakima racks. Yes, they are a lot more expensive than the Riverside but more versatile and, IMHO, much safer. On the other hand, if you are going to be transporting your kayak just a few miles through neighborhoods and back roads, then IMHO, the Riverside would be sufficient.

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members