Highlighted

Concerns about transporting a kayak on my vehicle.

Just purchased my first kayak. I am having nightmares about getting it to the water. I have not decided how I will carry it. I am concerned about driving with it on my roof and over my front windshield. I am over thinking this for sure. The panic sets in at night. Will it ever stop raining, will it get warm enough to comfortably learn to use, are the beaches going to open before the summer ends, and what if, what IF I am just fooling myself into thinking I can really do this!  : - (

Highlighted

Re: Kayaking

Hey there @Chloe! Welcome to the community!

What kind of kayak do you have? I have had a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 for a good number of years and it has been so much fun! It is challenging to move around and I, too, have concerns about it on the roof of my car, but I take good precautions every single time I go out and I have yet to have any issues whatsoever. Do you have a kayak rack on your car?

Hopefully we can help alleviate the anxiety!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Re: Concerns about transporting a kayak on my vehicle.

Hi @Chloe and so glad you reached out. @REI-JohnJ and I are both veterans of transporting kayaks and paddleboards in lots of different environments. Give us some more details and we can help with the specifics.

In the meantime, you are not fooling yourself. You can totally do this! Being able to get on the water has been so beneficial for my physical and emotional well being. Like you, I had a ton of anxiety starting out, but now it's something I can't wait to do.

You're right to be cautious and want to do it the correct way. And you will!

We're here to help. Let @REI-JohnJ and I know what you have and we will do our best to help you enjoy something we both enjoy so much ourselves!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Concerns about transporting a kayak on my vehicle.

Be careful but not concerned. I have transported 17 foot sea kayaks and 9 foot recreational boats and everything in between. How you will transport it depends on your vehicle. What are you driving. I have used various Yakima bars and racks but think Thule bars and racks are just as good. REI sells both but may not have your vehicle needs in stock. Tie down straps will be a necessity. Everyone ties down the yak to the rack. I, but not everyone, ties down the bow and stern to the car, either the bumpers, frame, trailer hitch, or what ever works. Putting the 9 foot Dagger up on the rack and taking it down is pretty easy, The 17 foot Necky is another story. I can handle the 17 foot Dagger alone but have scratches on the car to prove it is not easy and prefer to have a hand putting it up and taking it down. The actual transport is easy compared to getting it up and down.

Featured
Top liked members