Canoeing

I recently enjoyed a canoe trip on the Platte River in Northern Michigan where I learned that a dry case for your cell phone/camera is absolutely essential. What's your must-have piece of gear for summer paddling?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Re: Canoeing

Personally, a pair of paddle gloves are a must have for me. When water, salt and sand mix, I tend to get blisters pretty quickly on my palms where I grip my paddle. Gloves save my hands so I can enjoy my time on the water without constantly thinking about hurting the thin skin on my palms.

Jealous! I miss paddling in the mid-west.

I must have a good pair of water shoes. Ones that cover the toes so I don't stub them on rocks and they must  have good tread when I portage.  

Dry bags for clothes and sleeping bag.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn

The Midwest does have some great paddling spots! I agree that water shoes are very important. You never know just what you're going to step in or on.

0 Likes

That's a good call out, @TomIrvine . One tip of the canoe could mean wet gear and that's no good at all. It sounds like you do some canoe camping. Do you have a favorite destination?

Highlighted

Sorry about the late reply - I have been away and off-line for five delightful weeks.  Most of my canoe-tripping has taken place in Ontario, Canada.  Lady Evelyn Prov. Park is my favorite so far.  But then we got interested in sea-kayak touring.   I especially like the Gulf of St Laurence and the northern tip of Newfoundland.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
0 Likes