Highlighted

Where is REI on wildfire?

Why is REI largely silent on the connection between outdoor recreation and wildfires, the vast majority of which are the result of human error? It and other pillars of the outdoor industry need to be doing their utmost to educate their customers about the dangers of fire and how to mitigate it. Where is the ownership of that responsibility?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Where is REI on wildfire?

Try  this for starters:  https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/wildfire-safety-tips-for-outdoor-recreation.html

A portion deals specifically with campfire safety; overall, it is a very good primer on wildfire safety, and very timely at that.

While it is true that human activity accounts for many fires, not all human activity is recreational - consider vehicles dragging chains that create sparks resulting in fires.  Target practice, poorly done, also creates fires = something beyond REI's sphere of influence.

REI sells a multitude of stove, etc. which are quite safe to use, with caution even in hazardous conditions.

Finally, the main job of promoting fire safety falls to the land managing agencies, because fire safety is quite situational - what is good in the wet spring is really bad in the dry fall.  It is up to the kindly ranger to advise the camper.  I am retired NPS so I know of what I speak'

Ultimately, fire safety is everyone's job

Re: Where is REI on wildfire?

@hikermor, you're of course correct that fire safety is a shared responsibility. Like you, I'm speaking from experience, having spent years working in public land management, conservation, and environmental education.

I wouldn't dispute any of your comments. I'm not arguing that all wildfire is the result of poorly managed campfires and that it's therefore the fault of the outdoor industry. Rather, my point is that outdoor industry players can and should be doing more to actively educate their customers about the wildfire risks that their activities do pose and over which they do have control.

It's great that REI has resources of the kind that you linked to. It would be better if that information was centered in the company's communications at a time when unprecedented numbers of people, many of whom are new outdoor recreationalists, are heading onto public lands. Yes, recreational activities are just one factor, and maybe not the most important one, contributing to wildfires. However, as you point, fire safety is everyone's job, including that of the outdoor industry and its customers.

0 Likes
Featured