Re: What is a piece of gear that was handed down to you, or that you have handed down to someone els

John that ice-axe is a treasure!

But this is a tough one for me. I was - and still am - the only person in our family that was into the whole outdoor thing. My friends and I were busy assembling our own gear-piles (with very bad tents, sleeping bags, and packs). Everything I got was new - and it's still pretty much that way.

But back in the seventies, when there was a bicycle boom going on. My brother kinda moved away, leaving his ten-speed Gitane behind. It wasn't a great bike, but I was blissfully unaware of this. After all, it had a classy French name, and sew-up tires which were very impractical for my needs, but I convinced myself that they were somehow superior. We rode many miles together, and I even proposed to my wife while riding it. (True story. She actually said no, then changed her mind a few days later. Maybe it was the bike.)

I eventually ditched the sew-ups for a pair of new rims and clinchers, and rode the bike well into my adult years, before making it my "winter" bike. I named her "Crusty" for the salt-ravaged look she developed in those last years.

Nothing is left of the bike, but I still have the bike wrench - also left behind by my brother. I was certain that I could completely overhaul the bike on the side of the road with this tool if the need arose.Wrench.JPG

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

Re: What is a piece of gear that was handed down to you, or that you have handed down to someone els

@TomIrvine 

What a great story to go along with the bike and that awesome looking bike tool! It still appears to be in good shape. How many different ways could that open a bottle I wonder? Thanks for sharing!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

John, that ice axe is incredible! My two items are in a similar vein:

98111979_2549585988626162_1638593215277826048_n-1.jpg

My mom's dad was an accomplished marksman who was in the woods as often as he could be, often hunting, when he wasn't tending to his farm.  Whenever he was in the backcountry, he always had a simple metal compass in his pocket. He passed away when I was very young, so I don't remember much about him, but my grandmother gave me the two compasses he used. The one he used most often is covered and dents and scratches, as well as a few rusty spots - signs of a well-used life outdoors! I backpack with my trusty Suunto compass that I've had since my Venturing days, but I keep one of his compasses in my pack hipbelt as a kind of totem and to share some outdoor adventures with grandpa Cecil.

99299334_1318856175172018_1138626367387074560_n.jpg

My other one is a recent acquisition - my dad gave me his trusty Victorinox Swiss Army watch when he retired! He wore it for about twenty years straight, whether it was out camping or hiking or when he was in the office. I remember wanting a watch like this so badly when I was a Boy Scout, and saving up my allowance and buying a similar-looking Fossil watch, which my mom found in a drawer last year as well! (Rambler trivia, looks like I'm not the only one who adventured with a classic Fossil Blue watch!)  Like the compass, it's covered in scratches and all the telltale signs of a life well lived, and it still works! I'm debating whether or not to remove the steel links and add a more hot weather-friendly NATO watch strap or to simply resize the bracelet and wear it the same way dad intended.

Great thread!

-Rob-

0 Likes
Featured