Highlighted

Suggestions on how to recycle a used sleeping bag

I have a sleeping bag that's about 15 years old w a broken zipper that I'd like to recycle rather than throw in the landfill. Is there an option to do this?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Suggestions on how to recycle a used sleeping bag

@MargaretP thanks so much for reaching out, and for looking for a sustainable way to dispose of your old sleeping bag. We had a similar conversation in the community on how to recycle old outdoor gear from another community member - while REI is not collecting used items from our customers for recycling, the best outcome is to get usable items (which your sleeping bag likely is) to a nonprofit like the Goodwill or another local organization (like a homeless shelter) that can likely extend its life.

If you have any interest in repairing the zipper, we often refer customers to Rainy Pass Repair, a Seattle-based company that specializes in repairing outdoor gear.

Finally, you may notice we moved your post to our Sustainable Living board, in the hopes that other community members may weigh in with their suggestions.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @MargaretP  Could you possibly use it as a summer or shoulder season quilt?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@MargaretP How about donating it to a homeless shelter?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Another vote  for a homeless shelter.... 

Highlighted

@MargaretP Does it have down inside? If so, consider buying a crappy synthetic down jacket from a thrift store, cutting the baffles and replacing the synthetic with the good stuff from the sleeping bag. Use repair tape to "clean it up". Won't look great but will work as an emergency jacket in your car. Super DIY but a fun project. 

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Highlighted

@MargaretP You could donate it to a local animal shelter or farm animal rescue. 

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members