cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Small things to increase sustainability at home

Hi all. I was wondering what small things you’ve started doing at home or in your daily life in the name of sustainability. I’ve used reusable shopping bags and produce bags for awhile, and I recently switched to shampoo and soap bars to cut down on plastic waste. Interested to hear what other people are doing to see how we can do better at home and be creative with sustainability. 

Re: Small things to increase sustainability at home

I started composting a few months ago. We have a large bin outside, and a small one for under the sink that makes collecting easy. It's amazing how much less waste is going in the trash and will hopefully be used in the garden next year.

@Sleymrzy thanks for starting this conversation; sometimes it's hard to feel like you're making a difference as just 1 person, but when you multiply a small change by millions of people, the effort can add up! Here are 2 things I've committed to:

• No disposable drink containers. If I don't have a reusable container with me, I don't get a drink. No coffee if I don't have my own coffee mug. No water if I don't have my reusable water bottle.
  • I've begun taking a glass container with me for leftovers when I go out to eat - no more disposable take-away containers.

Hoping we'll hear more ideas from others!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Hi @Sleymrzy !  I never really thought about being sustainable until reading your post.  Upon reflection, it turns out that I appear to be doing a lot of small things, that, hopefully, add up.  I have a compost bin in my back yard that gets all my organic waste.  The resulting compost goes into my vegetable garden every spring.  I mulch my grass clippings and pruned tree limbs.  I recycle everything that is deemed recyclable, including returning plastic shopping bags that I occasionally use to the store's recycle bin designated for them. I donate the clothing I've outlived or outgrown to local charities.  Very little ends up in my trash can.

I shop on REI's "Used" site and Patagonia's "Worn Wear" sites.    I grocery shop as locally as I can; local beef, local eggs, local farmer's markets, local breweries and brewpubs. 🍻.  I avoid bottled water and carry a water bottle almost everywhere I go (except to the brewpubs 😁).

Good topic!  Thanks for bringing it up!

At home outside, our yard has been transformed to native butterfly / bird friendly plants with only a very small part containing grass. Indoors, we mostly clean with vinegar and water, trying to stay away from chemical cleaners.   

0 Likes

I'm trying to eliminate pesticides and fertilizers in my front and backyard.  Using a bat box in the trees to take care of mosquitoes.  Using bird feeders/bird baths to bring more birds back to the area.

0 Likes