Opt to Act - Simple Action #52: Celebrate a year of action by joining REI to #OptOutside once again!
Join REI in making the fight for a life outdoors part of your life with the Opt to Act Pla...Read more
The climate crisis is the greatest threat to the future of life outdoors. We’re committing to cut our carbon emissions 55% by 2030 and to become climate neutral today through carbon credits. Learn more about our new commitments by heading to the Co-op Journal.
Please join us in the fight for the future of the outdoors by:
How about getting your MarCom department to create a frame for Facebook profile pictures for this campaign?
@Dad_Aint_Hip we've passed your suggestion along and will loop back if we're able to bring that frame to life! Thanks for the suggestion!
@Dad_Aint_Hip unfortunately we couldn't make this happen however you've planted a seed for some future opportunities that our social team is considering!
Thanks for following up, though!
Hats off to REI for stepping up to their responsibility for corporate sustainability in such a public way. I just had a few suggestions for your communications to consider so that all your users will better understand your commitment and think about theirs:
* It's still confusing to many people what carbon neutral means, wondering why you're already carbon neutral now but you're still aiming to reduce 55% in the next decade
* Clarify what you mean by greening your supply chain; is it the energy used by those factories or also embedded energy of materials and buildings? We've working with Nike on greening their supply chain, and it's...complicated. Many Asian factories produce products for multiple manufacturers and so the accounting is messy / complicated
* Also briefly explain carbon credits (which is something all of us (at least here in Western Washington) can do
* It seems like your focus is more on fuel-switching and carbon credits more than deep efficiency improvements, which is generally more cost-effective and reliable and has the side benefit of support more local jobs
* Encourage members to opt out of paper mailings and make it easy for them to do so
Again, you're doing a terrific job, one of the industry leaders along with Patagonia, and I'm proud to support you with my business. Thank you.
Thank you for this thoughtful response. We will be sure to pass your feedback along to our sustainability team. We appreciate you taking the time!
@JSA thanks so much for posting this to our community, and for your commitment to having a positive impact on our planet! Unfortunately we are not able to participate in the conference you describe - perhaps instead there are community members you can connect with? Good luck with your project and podcast - it's inspiring to see individuals finding ways to improve our outdoor spaces!