Highlighted

Recycling Isobutane-Propane fuel canisters

I'm looking at buying a new backpacking stove - after getting 25+ years of use out of my MSR stove. Are the Isobutane-Propane fuel canisters that some MSR stoves use now recyclable? I'm in Minnesota if it makes a difference.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Recycling Isobutane-Propane fuel canisters

@DougSC I'm not an employee, but our local recycling service (Twisp, WA) only requests that you poke holes in the canister and recycle it with mixed metals. When they see the holes, they know there is no danger of remaining fuel under pressure.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

@TomIrvine That is my understanding as well.  REI will graciously relinquish ownership of a little gadget designed to do just this to you for an appropriate sum.....

Highlighted

@hikermor Yes, but the manly way to do it is with an ice-axe. 😉 I suppose a screwdriver would also work.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

Yes of course! An ice axe would definitely be the manly method!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

https://youtu.be/BtaUmcpgNVc 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@DougSC Thanks for reaching out!

There isn't much we can add to the advice you've gotten here other than to confirm that the IsoPro canisters are recyclable once you puncture them to make sure all the gas is emptied. You'll want to check with your local recycling plant to confirm they will accept them before recycling. 

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

You'll want to make sure all the gas is out of them and THEN puncture the can.  Once you puncture the can the gas will escape so it's too late to "make sure". 

You should not puncture a can that obviously has fuel in it because you can create a projectile or worse an uncontrollable incendiary device should a stray spark light the escaping gas.

I also squash my punctured empties to make their emptiness obvious.

Hi @OldGuyot how do you squash them? Vice?

0 Likes
Highlighted

With a hammer.   I don't think my vice is big enough.  I generally use a nail to puncture the can but a hammer on a nail can cause a spark so the can MUST be empty.   For puncturing the can the devices are probably safer for most people.

Generally I try to use partials up...and use my stove to burn off any residual gas.

Featured