Highlighted

"Uncommon Path" - waste of paper

I think it is disappointing that REI shipped out the "Uncommon Path" magazine/journal to all of its members. I think they should send members an email to view an online copy. Maybe if people really want a paper version, they can request a copy. It just seems really unnecessary to send this out to everyone and the wrong decision if the goal is sustainability. 

Highlighted

Re: "Uncommon Path" - waste of paper

I didn't know that such a publication existed. Although I've been an REI member for many years  I've never gotten an issue. Maybe they don't send copies to Canada.

So thanks for mentioning this. I was able to find an online copy on REI's website: Uncommon Path.

And yes, I agree that sending an occasional email to announce a new online issue is preferable to devastating forests to create print editions.

...Wanderer
0 Likes
Highlighted

I also did not know this existed and I have been a member for many years.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@HikingMema this is actually something new from the co-op! We have only 2 publications of the Uncommon Path thus far.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@vet7653 Thanks for your feedback!

One of the reasons we’re excited about this community is the ability to hear directly from our members, so we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on our magazine, Uncommon Path. We have made the magazine available to all of our members digitally here, but only sent the paper copy to a select group of co-op members. If you would like to discontinue receiving printed materials from REI, you can update your preferences here.

We do acknowledge that the magazine has an environmental impact. We have chosen responsible paper sourcing options including Forest Stewardship Council certified sources, which means the paper comes from managed forests, and 10% recycled, post-consumer waste to minimize the negative impacts. We are using a water-based coating that separates out during the paper recycling process so that the magazine will be completely recyclable. The paper supplier is also a SmartWay transport partner, a program focused on supply chain freight sustainability. Finally, we encourage recycling of the magazine at end of life, where available, or pass it along to a friend to enjoy!

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback and for being a member of our co-op.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Easy enough to recycle.....

0 Likes
Highlighted

@hikermor  REDUCE. Reuse. Recycle. Recycling is last. How about “save a tree”? 

Featured
Top liked members