Highlighted

Opt to Act - Simple Action #42: Wipe wisely: Use Forest Stewardship Council-certified toilet paper

Join REI in making the fight for a life outdoors part of your life with the Opt to Act Plan - 52 weeks of simple actions to reduce your impact, get active, and leave the world better than you found it. Full details can be found here.

Week 42: Wipe wisely: Use Forest Stewardship Council-certified and 100% post-consumer recycled content toilet paper.

When it comes to living more sustainably, toilet paper is an often overlooked item. But properly purchasing toilet paper can reduce your home’s environmental impacts. Americans use more than 9 billion pounds of toilet paper every year—around 28 pounds per person. Using 100 percent virgin fiber to make products such as toilet paper uses three times as much carbon as products made using other types of pulp. Through the bleaching processes during manufacturing, “the toxic chemicals used often end up being discharged as effluent into waterways where they pollute rivers, harm eco-systems, bio-accumulate and eventually enter the food chain,” according to an Environmental Paper Network report. “If every American switched one roll of toilet paper made from trees to a roll made from 100 percent recycled materials, we could save over 1 million trees,” Shelley Vinyard, Boreal Corporate Campaign Manager at NRDC, said in a news release.

Take part: Sept. 13–19, 2020

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Re: Opt to Act - Simple Action #42: Wipe wisely: Use Forest Stewardship Council-certified toilet pap

what I'd like to see is folks (primarily ladies) stop leaving TP piles on the ground after doing their business.

It seems like 1 pile begats 20 piles.

Even in the most remote wilderness areas, makes me want to puke.  I was/am so disgusted I completely forgot to take pictures.

Campsites frequented by outfitters on horse/mule and their customers seem to be the biggest culprit. 

I would think that the wranglers for hire here would brief folks that this is a wilderness (or anywhere) no-no.  But I guess they don't.

Thank you for listening, have a nice day.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Re: Opt to Act - Simple Action #42: Wipe wisely: Use Forest Stewardship Council-certified toilet pap

@REI-JohnJ Great topic for conservation.  In the spirit of Leave No Trace, one option is a portable bidet!  These are rather common to find on the market....lightweight, cheap, and they can screw/pressure fit on lid of a standard water bottle.  Seems nonsensical at first, but don't judge it til you try it!

https://www.relaxacare.ca/products/bios-hygienna-bidet?variant=32463867150417&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uH6BRDQ...

https://www.garagegrowngear.com/products/portable-bidet-by-culoclean?variant=28711275102282&currency...

Featured
Top liked members