cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Microfiber polution from washing fleece garments

Microfiber polution from washing fleece garments is corrupting both soil and river/ocean water with microscopic bits of plastic fiber.  I'm trying to move away from my fleece sweaters, but when I went to REI recently I couldn't find any wool sweaters, though you carry some under layer merino tops and bottoms.  Wool sweaters are so basic and traditional.  Have you not yet put out your winter merchandise or is this a new marketing choice? 

Re: Microfiber polution from washing fleece garments

The simplest solution is to stop washing your fleece.  Is there evidence that the microparticlescause any harm?

0 Likes

@drodum thanks so much for the question(s)!

Two-fold answer:

1. We wanted to share this article on microfibers, the co-op's research into them and their impact on the environment.
  2. We do not have our full winter assortments at the co-op yet - expect to see more variety of winter fabrics, including wool, as we transition into late fall and early winter!

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

just one more thing to worry about, to be aware of.  All my sweaters are fleece or some sort of poly fibers, I guess it's good I don't wash them very much anyway.

We all drink water and rely on municipalities to do whatever it takes to make it clean and safe.  With the way things are going, one would think that a certain segment of population DOES NOT drink water! 

Looking at Michigan cities and what's happening there, makes me wonder if were not all doomed (sign).  The last thing we need is a roll back of clean water/clean air regulations.  The oceans seem doomed, what with the newly announced temperature rises and increasing acidity. Plastic, oil pollution, flesh eating bacteria, red algae, dead zones, eradication of species, great time to be alive!

Makes me long for the good old days when my only worries were giardia and Cryptosporidium! At least I can buy a filter for that at REI!

0 Likes

Science is just beginning to understand the quantity and sources of microplastics that humans intake, many are linked to the food chain, but we also inhale them.

Here is a good piece from Nat Geo on it: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/06/you-eat-thousands-of-bits-of-plastic-every-ye...

0 Likes