cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

It's Time to Take Action on Climate Change

"Climate change is, beyond doubt, the biggest existential threat facing the outdoors and REI’s survival for another 81 years."

Read CEO Eric Artz's letter to REI employees.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Re: It's Time to Take Action on Climate Change

I read the letter and agree.  My feeling is those of us that see and care about what's happening will need to vet these issues with candidates running for office and make our votes count.

0 Likes

I maintain there is no Climate change that should be discussed publically in front of children or Rebel teens. These Children are blaming adults for destroying the plane. It is like discussing money or sex in front of children which leads to arguments. 

Then extreme environmentalist have chosen the wrong party to represent them. The open borders activist are wanting to increase to carbon foot print. What happens when migrants flood into the U.S.A. ? why more cars, use of more gasoline, More electrical and public utilities. They are not building more dams or water treatment centers or wast disposal. Then what ever happened to keep America beautiful ? Reports are from major cities of people living in streets just because Democrats want open borders. The party that represents environmentalism does not represent environments interests.

0 Likes

@camilian3711  A few questions for you:  First, are you a writer for The Onion? 

How would you suggest keeping kids & rebellious teens in the dark about the world around them?  Think about it -- no glaciers, no snowfall, no historic rainfall, no flooding categories (100yr, 50yr, 5 yr), no tropical storms / hurricanes / cyclones, no wildfires, no wildlife (e.g., bird & insect migration), no crops or vegetation (changes in seasonality, pollination/germination, crop success), no recycling bins, no electricity, no wood burning stoves, no running water...  (this is just a short list as an example).

Where would you have children place blame for the current state of the environment? 

What types of arguments over sex and money are children and rebellious teens in your life starting?  I haven't ever encountered that around any of the schools I've taught in, so I'm really curious about your experience.  Perhaps you're thinking of "religion and politics in polite company", as it was called back in the day?  I've always wondered why parents who are so sure of their values & of the way they're raising their kids are so reluctant to allow the opinions of others -- after all, a person who stands steadfast in personal beliefs and in teaching children shouldn't be fearful of differing viewpoints.

Where are the open border activists and these so-called nameless "reports" you refer to?  I haven't seen any, nor have my other friends and relatives in border states and non-border states (I asked -- the poll came back with no evidence of this anywhere) -- only loud pundits attempting to scare people (including children or rebel teens) that political adversaries want open borders. 

What carbon footprint increase are you referring to people wanting at the border?  Seems like major construction work (involving transport of low mpg diesel and gas construction vehicles AND transport of materials from factories to the border), while bypassing all environmental protections would be the main culprit.  The vigilante citizens self-appointed as patriotic border patrol, crisscrossing the desert in high profile, low mpg trucks are a runner up.

Migrants have been "flooding" into  the USA since before it was the USA by definition -- Spanish, British, and French explorers and colonists -- talk about changing culture, use of resources, population booms!  And let's not forget about the migrants who took land, and then had the audacity to officially move the border to protect what they claimed as theirs (yes, that would be CA, AZ, NM, & TX).

How much do you personally spend on bottled water? 

What fuel source are you using for HVAC technologies in your home?

Do you drive your own vehicle (and what class of vehicle is that)?  How often do you walk or ride a bicycle instead?

Do you abstain from eating meat?

It's a lot easier to complain than to implement solutions on a personal basis.

0 Likes

LOL I don't think this is a real post. It would be interesting to see the algorithm that created this. It has all the talking points.

I wonder what mechanisms we can out in place to increase the number of voices lobbying for sustainable zero-carbon options for big companies in industry and agriculture? 

I joined this site to get away from politics and topics such as the one presented by @REI-JenK  

PathJourneys
0 Likes