Highlighted

Titcomb Basin

I am leaving for the Wind River area tomorrow, and plan on coming into Titcomb Basin through the backside, up and over Knapsack Col, snow cover permitting.  Anybody been through there?  I have plenty of time, and plan on going up both Stroud and Fremont Peaks while in the area.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Titcomb Basin

Leaving for my 6th trip in that area next week. Beautiful area, trails are very good. However going up knapsack cole is remote but popular. Not sure about the snow, the latest weekly high res photo on caltopo.com is obscured by clouds, at least in my area (porcupine pass, green river lks trail head) Do not miss the museum of the mountain man in Pinedale. You didn’t mention your trail head, there are a LOT of trails in that place

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Titcomb Basin

Thanks.  Just returned yesterday.  Still a lot of snow on the Peak Lake side, then weather came in.  Went back down to head up Titcomb on the other side, even more snow there at the time, with a big cornich overhanging near the top.  But it was awesome.  Trails in good condition, just the ones direct from Elkhart toward Titcomb muddied and rough due to passages although I saw few other hikers in my eight days backcountry.  Note to self:  I prefer grizzlies to mosquitoes, any time.  Those bastards were horrendous.

Featured