Highlighted

Seeking recommendations for the best tent camping around Madison WI!

Hey everyone!  I'm new to WI, living in Madison and my family and I are eager to start camping!  What are your favorite tent camping spots? We are ok with walk in sites as long as its not too far of a distance as I have young kids.  Thanks!!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Seeking recommendations for the best tent camping around Madison WI!

@Timoe1@WI4all@Kathleen93@BethS@heartwoodphoto

Anyone have suggestions for Leslie?!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-LeslieN I have the “Best Tent Camping in Wisconsin” book..... it’s a good start to explore what might fit for you. Happy camping! 

Highlighted

Thanks @Sattvic !  I'll be sure to check it out 🙂 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-LeslieN Try the WI DNR website for all your state park camping sites. WI public camping is great; although, I personally look for the hike in sites so I’m not setting up next to a RV with its fumes and noise. You can narrow your searches by drive-in and walk-in sites. With kids, you may want to check out the shelter sites of the North and South Kettle Moraine. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Haven’t done much camping down in that part of the state. You usually can’t go wrong with the state parks although it seems they haven’t been maintaining them like they used to which is sad. Sites are typically spaced out decently so you aren’t on top of your neighbors. Most parks have great ranger led programs for families. There are a lot of good opportunities within 3-4 hrs of driving. Our favorite is Peninsula State Park in door county. There is so much to do in the area.  Kids always had a good time. Make sure to stop at PC Junction and ride the pedal cars if you go. Your family can paint a sign to hang on the wall. It’s fun to go back years later to find your sign. 

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members