Highlighted

Anywhere in CO or WY that's not too snowy for backpacking over the 4th?

My friend and I are scrambling to put together a backpacking trip for the 4th. We were supposed to go into the Weminuche Wilderness south of Silverton, CO (taking the Durango train) but we've been advised against it due to snow conditions. We're now looking into the Wind River Range in Wyoming, but it sounds like Titcomb Basin will be too snowy, as well. Anyone know of a spot in Colorado or Wyoming where we might be able to make this trip happen? We'd love to have something that matches the grandeur of the San Juans, but I know that might not be possible. We have 5 days for the trip (July 3-7). Any advice or intel on snow conditions is welcome!

MK
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Anywhere in CO or WY that's not too snowy for backpacking over the 4th?

Hey marykate, I'm in the same boat! There is just a ton of snow everywhere. Check out this website, to see how crazy it still is up in the Winds: https://www.greatoutdoorshop.com/conditions/trail-report/

Highlighted

Parts of the Uintas in NE Utah (where UT, WY and CO meet) are very snow free except in the highest areas. There are also some very fun Independence Day celebrations in the small towns around there if you happen to be in town on the 4th.
Highlighted

Hey marykate, I'm in the same boat! There is just a ton of snow everywhere. Check out this website, to see how crazy it still is up in the Winds: https://www.greatoutdoorshop.com/conditions/trail-report/

Highlighted

@hikeutah we actually ended up in the Winds! We did the Cirque of the Towers loop with an added side trip to Deep Lake. Texas Pass was definitely a little sketchy with the snow and we all had soaked boots from postholing and unsuccessful stream crossings, but it was beautiful.

MK
0 Likes
Highlighted

Parts of the Uintas in NE Utah (where UT, WY and CO meet) are very snow free except in the highest areas. There are also some very fun Independence Day celebrations in the small towns around there if you happen to be in town on the 4th.
Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestions, @Allofthemonkeys!

MK
0 Likes
Featured