Highlighted

Looking for group that support Black hikers in/around Kansas City

I have been following #blackbirdersweek and #blackhikers week and am looking for any local groups working with awareness and inclusivity in the outdoors. I would love to get involved, especially with women/kids. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Looking for group that support Black hikers in/around Kansas City

@kcapper so glad to have you here in the community - it would be helpful to know where you're located so we, and other community members, can start making some recommendations and connections!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Sorry - to clarify, I am not black. I am looking for ways to help positivity in the outdoors in my community. I am in the Kansas City area. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@kcapper in case you hadn't seen it, we recently posted an article on how to support organizations working toward a more inclusive outdoor community; there are a bunch of non-profits listed (with more being added) that you could reach out to and see which, if any, have a local Kansas City chapter or affiliation. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@kcapper yes, where are you located?  I would suggest meetup.com for groups of all sorts of like-minded folks, all sorts of interests.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Check your local Sierra Club. They should have a group call the ICO which focuses on taking kids who have little or no chance to do outdoors activities like hiking and camping etc. They also do environmental education. I work w/ the STL chapter and have taken my kid and others on trips, combining leadership w/ family and service. Also look to see if there is a local Black Girls Do Bike and GirlTrek in your area. We have an active chapter of BGDB and GirlTrek here. BGDB is self-explanatory while GirlTrek is more hiking focused. 

0 Likes
Featured