Highlighted

Minnesota State Parks to Explore

Thought I'd start a thread for sharing of your favorite Minnesota State Parks. I've got a goal to hike in each of the hike-able MN State Parks. More than halfway there. I'm using the Minnesota Hiking Club Trails to pick where to hike in most cases.

Picking one to say is my favorite would be tough. I'll post a highlight here and there of some of my past hikes. First up: Big Bog State Recreation Area. Loved the out and back boardwalk into the middle of the bog! This photo was taken in June 2019 on a road trip to hike and camp in the northwest part of Minnesota.

Highlighted

Re: Minnesota State Parks to Explore

@ruthsbluemarble Great conversation!

I hope @TomV can jump in, if I recall correctly he's been to every single Minnesota state park!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I sure have! Like @ruthsbluemarble said, it's near impossible to choose a favorite. I can share my own Big Bog story: we went in winter, and that's when I discovered the sole of my boots was starting to fall apart and letting snow in. Nothing like getting back to the car to take off your socks and wring out what felt like a gallon of dirty water out of them!

I am curious what you meant by the hike-able parks. The only ones I can think of are Garden Island Rec Area (OK, I have to admit that's the one we haven't been to. There's hiking I'm sure, but you need a boat to get to it. Or a snowmobile in winter I suppose but it's quite a distance off shore, basically the Northwest Angle), the Iron Range OHV area (we did do some minor hiking there once for one of their geocache challenges after checking in with staff, but extensive hiking probably not recommended for safety), and Cuyuna Country Rec Area (focus is mountain biking, but there is a paved State Trail running through, and snowshowing is allowed in winter).

I'll end for now with a couple photos from Tettegouche, about 5 years ago, one a panorama from the Palisade Valley overlook, and the other from the same hike, we were very lucky and happened to spot a pine marten!pinemartin.jpgtettegouche.jpg

Highlighted

My fave is Itaska State Park.  Very nice lake, drained by a tiny brook which I understand goes a long ways....

I have also been on Lake Bemidji.  My brother lives on the shore near the state park.  Minnesota is very nice country indeed.