Highlighted

Outdoor Climbing - Maryland

Hi there,

I am trying to find locations of where to climb in maryland or people to go with to try and get more into outdoor climbing. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Outdoor Climbing - Maryland

@Kmiller_31393 Welcome to the Community!

We're going to tag one of our users who is also from Maryland. Hey @Rob6, do you have any ideas or suggestions? Hopefully we can get some dialogue started!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks John! Appreciate the help of getting something started. Excited to be apart of the REI community and hopefully expanding from the gym to actual rock 😄

Highlighted

Thanks @REI-JohnJ 

Hi @Kmiller_31393 

I am in central Maryland, and one of the most popular climbing destinations is at Rocks State Park in Harford County.  The rock feature is called the King & Queen's seat.  Just north of here in southern Pennsylvania there is the Enola Low Grade  Rail Trail that runs along east bank of the Susquehanna River with many climbing routes along its length.  One of those is Chickie's (sp?) Rock near Columbia, PA.

Another place you could find more locations, and probably climbing partners would be Earth Treks https://www.earthtreksclimbing.com/ , a climbing gym.  There is one located right near REI's Timonium store.

Good luck and happy climbing!

Highlighted

Hi @Kmiller_31393 !

I hope you didn't take my suggestion to visit the King & Queen's Seat today.  It seems there was a rescue there this afternoon of someone who had fallen.  I haven't heard any details yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Rob6 Hey rob i did not! Hopefully whatever happened everyone ends up being okay. 

By chance would you know anyone who would be up for showing someone the ropes outdoors? Before the tough break up i had with the person i had climbed with at earth treks for almost two years, i had started slowly trying to get outside. Did a day of climbing out in Colorado, took a class at ETs and buying gear slowly. 

i appreciate any advice and help pointing me in the right direction. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Kmiller_31393 .

The last I heard the person who fell had been rescued but was in critical condition.

Climbing is not my specialty.  I do some bouldering and scrambles, but nothing technical.  So, unfortunately, I do not know anyone that I could recommend as a climbing instructor or tutor.

It appears that Earth Treks is not your best option right now.  If it's not too far away for you, my best suggestion would be to take a trip up to the Safe Harbor Dam area, in Lancaster County, PA, and walk along the Enola Low Grade Rail Trail.  There are always several groups of climbers along that route, and they have always been friendly and engaging with me when biking or hiking along the trail.

Facebook has a Safe Harbor Climbing public group you might try visiting.  And below are a couple links that you might find helpful.

https://www.scpclimbers.org/safe-harbor

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/107374703/safe-harbor

Good luck!

Featured