Highlighted

Alabama Outdoors

Looking for folks who live or recreate in Alabama, specifically day hikes and backpacking. I've been here for a few years and have found a couple decent day hikes near Lake Martin and Cheaha but nothing truly stunning. The Pinhoti seems to offer the best options in terms of elevation gain for hiking and backpacking. Do you have other suggestions?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Alabama Outdoors

@ajordan , I don't know much about the north part of the state, but the Mobile Bay area has incredible canoe/kayak opportunities if you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.alabamacanoetrails.com/bartram

There were also some good dayhikes in Blakeley State Park over in Spanish Fort. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else. 

I'll ask some of my friends up north and see if they have any suggestions for you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @ajordan depends how far north you're willing to drive.  Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville is nice.  Some nice trails and features to explore.  Not big mountains or anything, but nice.  Walls of Jericho is probably another to check out, but I've never been there myself.  Everyone says its great though.  Further north into TN/GA there's some beautiful trails near the Lookout Mountain area.  There's some really nice ones that overlook the river up near Chattanooga as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I've been to Monte Sano and Walls of Jericho, which both offer a lot more than I've found in the Montgomery area!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Is this Andy?

I’m in Birmingham and spend as much time outside as possible. 

Pinhoti is a lot of fun. Limited water access, Boulder fields, and elevation change make it a bit of a grind (think AT), but worth it nonetheless. 

Sipsey wilderness is like hiking through Ferngully. It’s gorgeous, primitive, and water is readily available. 

Theres a million other spots. If you want to see a bunch of them consider competing in the Alabama beta adventure race this year. 

https://www.thealabamabeta.com

0 Likes
Join the community