Highlighted

How are you playing in the snow this season?

Hey fellow snow enthusiasts! I don’t know about you, but I’m already starting to scheme about my winter adventures and indicators in the outdoor and resort industry point to dramatic shifts looming in the way we’re used to getting outdoors and recreating this winter. With several resort companies announcing reservation-only ticketing and continued uncertainty about how physical distancing requirements will impact operations and wait times on the mountains where we love to play, REI and other outdoor retailers are seeing early demand for equipment that will allow folks to get out to play in the snow without waiting in lift lines – think backcountry skiing, snowshoeing, fat tire biking!

I noticed that the Mountaineers in Washington State has already begun posting their winter sports classes and activities schedule, and snowshoeing classes are beginning to fill. And many local trail associations are beginning to prepare for an influx of snowshoers, XC skiers, and winter fat tire bikers. Just like we saw this summer on popular hiking trails, it’s likely that there will be a surge this fall/winter of folks who are hungry to get out and play (and it’s seeming likely that inventory in these categories may be hard to find).

So, we’re curious: how are you planning on getting outside this winter? Are you dusting off the XC skis you’ve always had around? Looking at a new pair of snowshoes or maybe a fat tire bike to try out a new way to play? Share your ideas below!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: How are you playing in the snow this season?

well, (and that's a deep subject...), I plan on going backpacking.  The when and where for me is problematic since I'll be 'out of the outdoor net' for a few more weeks tending my significant other's hurt foot recovery.

I'm in Virginia and annual snowfall has diminished every year for the past 10yrs or so, so getting in some snow camping vs just wet and cold, is never assured anymore.  Not even at the 4000'-5000' elevations of western VA or WV.

Alas, we get some snow, but when the weekend comes, it's melting or has melted.

That said, when I get some free time, I'll drive 6hrs or so to the blue ridge/appalachians and go backpacking in one of the national forests or wilderness areas.

Winter is a wonderful time, especially if we get some snow on the ground.  The leaves are off the trees, so the tree-tunnels I detest are gone, so you get some views inside the forest, not just the occasional overlook.

And, yes, if not enjoying a freezing rain, I'll have a campfire, and will responsibly enjoy some adult beverage.

BTW, a great treat for your group, standing around the campfire and freezing, is pulling out some gluhwein and heating it up on your stove and sharing.

Just don't forget to bring plenty of 'hand warmers' to toss inside of your sleeping bag.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes Hot water in water bottles is also a great way to keep yourself warm in sleeping bags! Keep us updated about your winter adventures, and I hope your significant other's foot heals quickly!

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Highlighted

XC skiing, classic and skate in the state parks and local trails.  Alpine skiing if the resorts are open, if not, I think I will need to learn more about back-country skiing this year!  My skis, boots, and bindings are compatible, but never had to do it before (and didn't care to because of the avalanche danger).  May have to buy some skins, we will see...

Highlighted

when you don't know what you're doing, still learning, I'm lucky to still be here!

IMG068.JPGIMG080.JPG765858-R1-39-39.jpg11 13Jan90.jpg

Highlighted

Hi @Philreedshikes 

How heavy is your backpack on the last pic?

Best,

Highlighted

Hi @Dmitry , well, and I'm guessing, with the skis, probably 35lbs?

It was supposed to be a weekend hike in Garmisch-Partenkirchen , from the Bockhutte to the Shachenhaus, (https://goo.gl/maps/m7hki76hiy6iyoPu9)

then ski the forest roads back down to the river road.  So only 2 days of fuel.  At that time white gas, and a svea stove, 2 person salewa tent (7-9lbs guessing).

Unfortunately, the trail up to the shachenhaus was snowed over, with re-melt turned to ice, so it was a BEAR to follow.

I fell several times skiing down the "road", but got a great pic out of it.

ps - the top 2 are out of Saas-Fee, spring, climbing the Alphubel., the next one is getting over to the Brittania Hutte, also near Sass-Fee for some ski touring.

Highlighted

Unfortunately at the moment I'm not sure where I'll be geographically come winter, but regardless of where I end up I plan to do some winter backpacking, hopefully in places that are COLD with LOTS OF SNOW! This may not sound like fun to many people, but I have always loved the magical atmosphere created by a white winter, and the fact that you're probably the only person out there! If I find myself out West, I hope to also partake in some backcountry skiing/snowboarding if possible.

Highlighted

@bryndsharp we're trusting you'll share pictures along the way!!!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@REI-JenK Of course!

0 Likes
Featured