Highlighted

Asian Fit goggles

Being asian, I find your elimination of the term asian fit goggles to be very questionable. I've already had issues with the corporate office being overly liberal but now this attempt to be politically correct is just unacceptable. Soon you will be removing all references to male and female as this will be too binary! I am Japanese and asian faces have a different profile that I am proud of...care to share the names of the asians that wanted the name change?

I will definitely be searching for equipment from other vendors as I find this type of shallow group think needs to stop.

Ken S. Yonemura, MD

Highlighted

Re: Asian Fit goggles

@Neuropod 

Ken, one of the reasons we are excited about this community is our ability to hear directly from our members with their questions, concerns, suggestions and feedback. We appreciate you reaching out about Asian Fit goggles. We will be passing along your thoughts to the appropriate team. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Neuropod, we wanted to follow up again with a little more detail and specificity behind our decision to eliminate the term "Asian Fit" for products that we carry at REI.

We believe the outdoors is for everyone and we strive to create an environment where our members and customers feel respected and represented at the co-op, and more welcome outside. Prior to eliminating this terminology, we received consistent feedback from REI members and customers nationwide that using descriptors based on race, ethnicity or other factors can create barriers to belonging. Additionally, we heard that many people didn't find the term "Asian Fit" to be as helpful as other terms that focus on specific fit attributes.

You are correct that we are also looking at where and when gender is and isn't relevant to product. As an example, we recently took steps with our Co-op Cycles to offer bikes by geometry rather than gender, with the goal of simplifying the bike-buying process to be based on proper fit.

As @REI-JohnJ mentioned in our first response, one of the reasons we are most excited about this community is our ability to hear directly from our members and customers with their feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to reach out. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Clearly REI strives to be politically correct rather than accept and embrace inherent ethnic and gender differences. Please enjoy your stance without my support. Your response gives me a strong reason to shift my support to local businesses.

Ken Yonemura, MD

0 Likes