Highlighted

Running Apps don't agree

I've tried multiple free phone apps in the past and found Runkeeper to be the most useful.  I've used Strava for the last few years and run them together, but find that I can have up to a half mile difference between the two apps!  Strava makes me look like I run far, fast, but the calculations don't seem to add up.  Does anyone else have this trouble?

Is there an app you prefer? Why?

Highlighted

Re: Running Apps don't agree

Do you use a running watch at all?  I've really liked the Suunto "Movescount" app and have found it to work well with my Suunto watch.   I have also noticed that when using just an app alone on my phone that it can vary drastically from one app to the other.  I've found watches to be far more accurate, and pretty easy to pair up with an app.  Hope that helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@REI-MollyM I use a wrist heart rate monitor that pairs to apps, but haven't taken the plunge on a watch yet.  I always feel like I have to research and then they seem so expensive.  It probably is the way to go though.  I'm also interested in checking out smart running shoes.  Tech seems to change so rapidly that it's hard to take the plunge!

Highlighted

I have a Garmin Fenix 3. It's a bit outdated now, but still my favorite watch I've ever owned. It syncs automatically to Garmin's phone app and to Strava.

0 Likes
Highlighted

There are many reasons why these differences can happen including drops in GPS signal, averaging/smoothing algorithms, position sampling rates, etc. As a result I don't obsess much over minor (less than 10%) differences. 

...Wanderer
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Wanderer I agree, but when that equates to one app saying 9 miles and the other saying 10 miles, it seems quite significant!  I know which app is correct, it's just disappointing that the other could be so wrong, especially when it's so popular.  Maybe we all like to feel like we're performing better than we are?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I love my Garmin Vivoactive 3 and leave my phone at home, unless I’m also taking pictures. I have used my watch in many Trail marathons, half marathons, Spartan races, and full marathons along with all of my training. It’s pretty spot on to what my final times were while being timed in races. I also love all of the data that I can drill down and look to see where I need to do better training. I plan on upgrading my watch to a Garmin Forerunner 945 as I plan to be doing some Triathlons next year. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members