Highlighted

On Running Shoes

What are your thoughts about “On” running shoes? Is the “cloud” technology just a gimmick or does it actually make a difference? What’s your favorite version of the shoe?

Highlighted

Re: On Running Shoes

@Buzz281 - I have yet to try these shoes but am also curious! 

So far I've loved running in Salomon and Asics shoes. I am wanting to try out the Hoka One One, Altra's, and On.

What have been your favorites? 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I can attest to the Hoka One One's.  They are a great shoe!  I have a pair of Clifftons (also Hoka) for street runs and a pair of Rebok Floatride RS Ultras... the name is a bit over the top, but if the shoe fits...  Smiley Wink

Highlighted

I have two pair of On running shoes and one pair of their trail running shoes. Honestly they wear out faster than my Altra’s have. I also seem to have knee pain since switching over to the On shoes. All three pairs of my On shoes squeak loudly when they are wet (and sometimes even when they are dry as well).  Just my personal experience with On shoes so far. 

Highlighted

Hi @Buzz281 , 

That's a tough one because it's truly different for everyone!  There are many many great brands, but not all great brands are great for every runner....if that makes sense.  My best advice is to go into a store and get professionally fit and try on a few different styles/brands to find what's best for you.  Once you find one that works, hopefully you have a shoe for life!  Or at least for a long time.  Happy running!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I have a pair of road running (CloudSwift) and a trail running pair (Cloud adventure). I have other road running shoes like Brooks and New Balance and compared to them, I will keep the On behind. My shoe types are neutral and would like my Brooks Ghost for recovery and NB Beacon for races (mostly Half marathons). The On works fine for speed workouts if you are planning to have it in your training. Some days I feel my run is awesome due to the shoes, other times a big No. I have only one pair of trail shoes, so cant compare the Cloudventure with any other. They are great while running small elevation mud trails, but when it comes to higher elevation I find it uncomfortable. As one of the reviewer had quoted, shoes depend on your foot type and On is not for me. But I know couple of folks who are die hard fans of On and one of them is a Boston finisher and the other is a 1:45 Half finisher. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I love my On shoes!!! My favorites are the Cloud X. I have the Cloudstratus too but find them much heavier so I tend to go with the X. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I personally love my Hokas I’ve had 8 or 10 pair. The Bondi has remained my favorite because I do a lot of road running and I like the cushion. I never have to break them in they are ready to go from the first time I put  them on

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Buzz281 Everyone is different, but I love my On Cloudflyers! Once Merrell stopped making my old shoe, I had to hunt for a new model I liked. I tried Brooks Cascadia 12 (too heavy) and the Asics G2000 (too structured) before finally settling on On Cloudflyers. They're so light and comfortable! I put about 460 miles on my first pair and have put 70 miles on my current pair, including my first full marathon! I will say (I think others have brought this up, too) that they wear down a little faster than my old shoes, but considering they're touting a lightweight shoe I think that is expected.

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members