Highlighted

New Runner

I've been trying to get more into running for a couple of years, but having a hard time getting into it. I've never been a "runner" and although I hike longer distances, my endurance for running isn't great. Everyone in my life who runs has been a runner since being a teenager and aren't very helpful with the getting started part. I'm hoping to get some advice on ways to work up to 10K from the absolute beginning as an adult? Does anyone have success becoming a runner as an adult?

Highlighted

Re: New Runner

I would set myself a goal. Sign up for a race in a few month's time, and set yourself a goal, based on your current fitness and how much you want to improve. Then make a training plan to realistically get to that goal. Make sure to ease into it though.

If you have something very specific you're working towards it's a tremendous motivator. There are a few training apps out there you can use. You can also find training schedules on google. If you want to go all out, hire a qualified trainer to set up a training program with you and monitor your progress (the more you invest into running, the easier it'll be to keep yourself accountable).

Another thing that will help a lot, is if you can find a friend to do it with you.  Scheduling runs with someone else makes it so much easier. You can also look for local runs in your area (look on facebook, meetups, ask a local running gear store). They usually will tend to accomodate every pace.

A motivator for me is to run on trails. But I'm lucky to have those to spare in my area.

You can also vary it up once in a while with cross training. You can replace a scheduled run with a bike ride, provided you go twice as long (time-wise) and keep your heart rate up.

If you have to do it alone, maybe you can find a friend or a neighbor that has a dog that could use some running too? I know that's helped some people.

Also remember to keep your goals, and the primary motivators (the reasons you started running) in mind. Monitor your progress, as you continue, you will find yourself going faster/further, and that can be a great motivator.

Highlighted

I started in my late twenties. As @WeAdventure said, an incremental approach is needed.If you start with a mile, that's great! But if you have to start with 100 yards of running, or even less, between rests, that's just as great. Figure out how much is realistic in a run and then in a week or month. Then you can ramp up from there. Running is for the benefit of you, so let your own abilities and needs define it for you.

I personally track my running distance in a shared spreadsheet with friends, so I keep myself honest about my numbers. (This approach works great for us for many, many goals, turns out.)

It's very important to find your own way in this. A lot of people find some running gear or plan that they think sounds cool, and then they stick with it to the point of injury, even if it's not best-suited for them. So with new shoes, new running-companions, or new routes, start off being cautious as heck.

Highlighted

@Rika17 I did! I’ve only started running frequently since 2012 .  Never liked running growing up.  I got sucked in because of my friends social media influences, and they influenced me positively for once... Ha! 

My advice would be start by volunteering at a local run, where you encourage every runner and tell them they are doing great, etc.  Trust me, when you start running yourself, you’ll need the same encouragement from you to yourself.  

Then, find a running buddy. Running buddy is optional but is probably important for a newbie. start running with local running clubs or groups.

then, buy a pair of shoes that suit your biomechanics and make you look good. 

Anyway, running buddy or not, find a scenic route that allows you flexibility to run long or short as you like, preferably close to restrooms... and then just go running.  

To me, the joy of running is a self perpetuating mental state, but you have to take the first step.  I hope you find success and see you outside sometimes! 

Highlighted

Any running programs that help set those goals? I'm also trying to get into running, but need a plan to follow to help push myself towards rather than let myself quit.

Highlighted

I used Hal Higgdon's plan (available online... here is his 10k beginner one, dig around for the one best suited for you).

0 Likes
Highlighted

I've been running since my early teens so I can't say I know exactly what you are going through, but I do find myself lacking motivation a lot!  One thing I recently did was set a mileage goal for the month and then I created a spreadsheet to track myself.  It worked well and I met my goal but this can be very dangerous for a newer runner and can lead to injuries.  I have a friend who started running after 40 and his problem is overuse injuries and is still getting over a stress fracture.  

But now on to my advice.  Slow down!!  Finding your pace is on of the hardest things to do, imo, but I often see new runners trying to go way too fast.  Your endurance will improve when you're not running to the point of being out of breath.  

Run and walk in .5 or 1 mile interval rotations.  Run outside as much as possible to build up your lung capacity.   Run farther than your goal so that the final race (10k) will seem shorter.

Highlighted

I started running for the first time ten years ago after having five knee surgeries. I signed up for a 10k as my first race and was hooked. My next race was the Dublin Marathon less than a year later. For me, finding a good training guide and sticking to it were the key. Also, like others have mentioned, having a race to motivate you as you work towards that goal is very helpful. Good luck!

Highlighted

I started running at 35. At that time, I was a bit overweight and couldn't run a mile. Two weeks ago, at the age of 45, I completed my fourth 100 mile trail race. Initially, it was all about fitness and new challenges. It was at some point in training for my first marathon that running became almost integral to my being, and not some kind of "chore". 

Really, you need to find enjoyment in it if you want to maintain it. Gradually work your way up in distance (read up on training plans - there are plenty of them online), challenge yourself by entering races, and if you are running on roads, be sure to give trails a go.

Featured
Top liked members