Highlighted

Where to backpack/camp (Pittsburgh PA)

To make a long story short my wife and I are looking for somewhat local trails or areas we can backpack for overnighters to start to get the hang of things. We have a good chunk of our own land I will be practicing setups and gear on but I would like to get out and explore a little on a safe/ moderately easy trails in our area. I know we can dispersion camp in the Allegheny National Forest, but even so, where do we start if we just want to test the waters...I do have experience outdoors, survival, camping in general. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and hopefully, other people in our area will find this thread useful! 

PS: We live right on the PA/OH border in Beaver County, so PA/OH/WV are all welcome areas to explore!

TC
Labels (2)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Where to backpack/camp (Pittsburgh PA)

Check out Racoon Creek State park, just a little southwest of you, There are two back country camping areas with Adirondack style shelter (no fireplaces) and primitive camping with pumps and latrines. One is more isolated than the other. Get a map from/of the park and you will see that there are many loops of various length that will take you past one or both of the back country camping areas. Trails at RCSP can often be muddy, but the terrain and ecology are varied.

0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category
Top liked members