Highlighted

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh offers great cycling trails, nearby hiking, backpacking, and water sports, not to mention TWO REI stores! The Great Alleghany Passage (GAP), starting at Point Park, offers a cyclist a trip to DC by connecting to the C&O. Nearby Raccoon Creek State Park, to the west, offers great day hikes and even an overnight. The Laurel Highlands, especially Ohiopyle, offers cycling on the GAP, white water rafting and kayaking, and hiking on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail. There are several small crags and bouldering areas within a reasonable drive.

aka "Boonerelli"
Highlighted

Re: Pittsburgh

@John , it sounds like Pittsburgh has a lot to offer! I've never been but am adding it to my list.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

We just moved to Pittsburgh last year and have been so pleasantly suprised with all the outdoor activities! Ohiopyle is amazing - it was the first camping trip that we took after we moved. I can't wait to check out the rest of the items on your list. 

Highlighted

@Amanda, Ohiopyle is awesome! If you're looking for something a little closer, you should check out Raccoon Creek State Park! There is a small lake and some great hiking trails, one of which has a really cool waterfall. Also, if you want a little bigger of a lake experience Moraine State Park is another great one. 

There are so many great County Parks around here too! My favorites are North Park and Hartwood Acres, not only because of proximity to my house, but North Park has sooooo much to offer, and Hartwood has a really cool Mansion and Stables you can check out. 

Welcome to Pittsburgh!

Highlighted

I think I have hiked every trail in Raccoon Creek State Park, but I do not recall a really cool waterfall. Which trail is is located near? Or are you talking about the large waterfall less than a quarter mile off the road? It IS cool, and the water from it was believed to bestow medicinal benefits. It is very mineral rich.

aka "Boonerelli"
0 Likes
Highlighted

@John, yes the Frankfort Mineral Springs waterfall. Just a short 1.2 mile loop trail from the Park Office on Cabin Road. Whether your passing through for a day hike or spending a few days. It is worth the quick stop to check it out!

Featured
Other boards in this category