Highlighted

Pittsburgh on my Mind

Yeah! We finally have a Pittsburgh page! I grew up and have spent most of my life near Pittsburgh, especially enjoying the Laurel and Chestnut ridges. Not only do we have TWO REI stores, we have the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, Ohiopyle, The Great Allegheny passage, Montour Trail, Panhandle Trail, Allegheny River, Raccoon Creek State Park, and much more.

aka "Boonerelli"
Highlighted

Re: Pittsburgh on my Mind

@John, nice to meet a fellow Hiking Yinzer! I myself am a transplant to the Pittsburgh Area, but have lived here for a little over 6yrs. I have been so delighted at the welcoming Outdoor Community, and all that Pittsburgh and the surrounding area have to offer!

I particularly like the fact that the lines between, lush green rolling hills and the city are, in my opinion, quite blurred. We are very lucky to have such great parks in the city like, Frick Park and Schenley Park, that are so rich in history and a wide variety of activities offered. Then, all you have to do is throw a stone across any of the Three Rivers and you'll land in great parks like, South Park, North Park, Boyce Park, and Hartwood Acres!

Of course the list continues with the amazing places you mentioned! And how lucky are we to have The Great Allegheny Passage?! It is definitely on my list of Adventures to conquer. Have you seen this awesome REI Trailhead Series they did about The GAP? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzQ_M0Z99-s

Hope to see you on the trail!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Watch the full series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzQ_M0Z99-s&list=PL7tqTAgUK4UyHoT7hj5ZL_xFynaZAOQY8 The Trailheads crew learns about The Great Alleghe...
Highlighted

@REI-DaveC I HAVE seen the awesome REI Trailhead Series about The GAP I know some of the people featured in the video and have cycled the entire Gap twice plus sections of it numerous times. As good as the video might be, I think it really does not due justice to the GAP. I am not sure any video could capture the full rich texture of the GAP.

aka "Boonerelli"
Highlighted

Hi Dave 

I just recently picked up a gravel bike and hope to spend more time on the gap! Prior to getting my bike I watched that video and yeah man it is way cool.
I live north of the city (Zelie) so I spend most of my time at Moraine or McConnells Mill. I am in to paddleboarding kayaking and hiking. 
cheers!

doug

Highlighted

Hi John

I am a transplant to the area and always looking for people to do things with. I live north of the city (Zelie) and spend quite a bit of time at Moraine. I am in to Paddleboarding  kayaking and hiking/trail running. 
And of course a nice diversion is checking out the trails at McConnells Mill!

0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category