Highlighted

REI Co-op Statement on Landmark Supreme Court Ruling on LGBTQ+ Employment Protections

As people throughout the United States continue to raise their voices for racial justice, we honor and celebrate a milestone moment in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights. 

Yesterday’s landmark Supreme Court ruling supports protections for LGBTQ+ workers under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and ensures that our LGBTQ+ employees, members, friends and families are protected against workplace discrimination in all 50 states. 

From renting an apartment, to applying for a job, to building their family—for far too long, far too many LGBTQ+ Americans have not been afforded the protection of full legal and lived equality we all deserve.

At REI, we believe that the outdoors, and our co-op, are for all. We’re inspired by and grateful for moments like today when we can stand with our employees, members and partners in the LGBTQ+ community to celebrate this collective step forward as a society. 

It’s auspicious that the fight for racial justice has now intersected with Pride Month—an annual commemoration of the Stonewall Riots that set the stage for the LGBTQ+ civil rights movement. The challenges facing the Black and the LGBTQ+ communities are distinct, but as these fights for justice intersect, today’s Supreme Court ruling is a reminder of the hard-won progress we’ve made, and the enduring truth that progress is possible.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: REI Co-op Statement on Landmark Supreme Court Ruling on LGBTQ+ Employment Protections

I applaud you position.  When shopping, or requesting services or assistance, at REI or elsewhere, the sexual orientation of the individual with whom I am interacting is highly irrelevant.

Same thing when i have been on the other side of the situation.

Highlighted

Re: REI Co-op Statement on Landmark Supreme Court Ruling on LGBTQ+ Employment Protections

Thank you for standing alongside the 🏳️‍🌈 LGBTQ+ community and providing an affirming workplace.

Highlighted

I wish corporations would stay away from these political statements.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@WildalaskaKen if you haven’t experienced it yourself, these inequalities can be easy to miss or ignore, especially for those used to receiving equal protection under the law and in our culture. We must come together with collective resolve and a commitment to respect, understanding and support.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

"We must come together with collective resolve and a commitment to respect, understanding and support."

Really?  Does that include ALL VIEWPOINTS?

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members