Highlighted

Torn up pads

Anyone else have issues with their dogs' paw pads getting torn up on long hikes/runs or in rocky/hot environments? Are there any good products to help with this? My poor pupper!! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Torn up pads

I've found Musher's secret works fairly well.  

Or get them used to wearing boots.  

🙂

Highlighted

I've used Burt's Bees for Dogs All-Natural Paw & Nose Lotion and I think it works great!

Highlighted

Oh cool - I'll check that out. Thank you!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@JennyinAlaska Having Goodendoodles that love hiking and backpacking, I've found that boots are the way to go! I even have them wear them on shorter hikes as it doesn't take long for a pad to peel or get poked. They walked funny for a bit but now they love them!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Caring for Dog's Paws When Running

I'd love to hear any recommendations for how to care for my dog's paws when we go for runs. Most of the time we're running on streets, and I typically run with him early in the morning before the pavement heats up too much. That said, I have to watch is pads carefully to make sure he doesn't get any raw spots. 

Any recommendations? Are boots actually worth considering? 

Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Caring for Dog's Paws When Running

Boots or shoes are great for taking care of your pet's paws, but not all canines will tolerate them and it usually takes them a bit of time to fully get used to them.  I tried a few times to get my dog into them and used to them all to no avail.  

I will change my routes in the summer especially on warmer days as well as going earlier in the day.  I opt for shady trails or at minimum routes that have grass, sand, or dirt next to the sidewalk so my pup's paws won't get too hot.  

I, personally, use regular cooking coconut oil lightly on the pads of her paws when they get irritated or excessively dry.  Usually this is during the winter with all the ice melt and salt on the sidewalks, but I've occasionally used it during the summer. 

I would definitely consult with either your vet or at least a pet store on what types of products they would recommend to keep your pup's paws healthy and happy.  

Good job on watching their paws.  Make sure you also inspect for grass and plant seeds/thorns that can get stuck in between the pads and toes.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.