Highlighted

Pet First Aid while camping

Greetings all,

How do you plan for the potentially injured pet?  I have a kit and have taken pet first aid classes, but I'm curious how others plan for this in their lives while camping.  

thx

adal

Re: Pet First Aid while camping

I found this to be a pretty good guide (https://outdoordogworld.com/dog-hiking-first-aid-guide/), but recently after our dog seemed to be limping a bit as we neared the top of a mountain, we were wondering what we would do to get her back down if she couldn't do it herself.  One of our thoughts has always been to shift the load from two packs to one so that we could carry her down in a backpack in order to keep our hands free.  Any other thoughts?

@taskmaster , I saw a harness from Mountain Dogware advertised online that is made for incidents just like this. It's lightweight and allows you to carry your injured dog on your back (or front!). Their website is www.mountaindogware.com

@azmedic196 , it sounds like you have done a good job of preparing to take your pet camping and preparing for a possible injury. I know that people adventure with all types of pets but REI does offer a class called Wilderness First Aid Basics for Dogs. Check www.rei.com/events to see if this class is being offered near you. If not, you can reach out to your local store to see if this is something that can be offered in your market. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

@REI-MichelleW Thanks for the link.  I am a flight medic currently in Northern AZ.  I teach trauma and wilderness first aid and have a K9 first aid class as well.  I will for sure check out the link you sent however because we can always pick up something from others.  🙂  

I have the Fido pro Airlift from https://www.fidoprotection.com/fido-pro-airlift I like it.  

It's conversations like this that are great for info sharing.  

Thank you.  

@REI-MichelleW Thanks so much!  I'll look into this.  It would also help for water crossings and metal bridges...  our dog does not like to get wet as she's super fluffy and sometimes her feet can fit through metal grating. Being able to carry her on our back would free up hands for better safety with poles.  We wouldn't try it with deep water crossings, but some of the more shallow crossings can be tough with the chance of slipping when carrying her in our arms.

I would add a digital thermometer to your first aid kit. I was camping at the beach with my pup and she leaked enough urine (no blood,no mucus)while awake to fill a crate pad and almost a full size towel. I was worried she needed to go to the er vet from so much fluid loss so texted my vet. She said get a digital thermometer(so I went to close by Rite Aid) and if temp normal she could wait to go to her regular vet. Did that and she has a UTI!

Start a Conversation
Top solution authors