Highlighted

Tick prevention

What do people use for tick prevention where you are?  We have Lyme Disease where I live and so while I'm fine using more natural/alternative options without deet for mosquitos, I'm hesitant to use a non-deet option for tick prevention in the woods/grassy areas. Would love to hear what others are doing for prevention!

Highlighted

Re: Tick prevention

A non-chemical option includes wearing long sleeves and pants and tucking your pants in your socks.  It takes at least 36-hours for an embedded tick to transfer lymes disease, so after being in the woods a good tick check will help prevent being infected.

Highlighted

I do a lot of fieldwork that involves bushwhacking through dense areas with lots of ticks and prometherin is a game changer!  It's an insecticide, so some people don't like it, but I did a bunch of research and decided it seemed okay.  In my mind it is much better than lymes disease!  You treat your clothing (I usually only do my pants and the top of my socks that are exposed to the air when I tuck them into my pants) and I have literally seen ticks die crawling up my pants. 

Highlighted

My routine may be a bit of overkill, but I've spent the last 1.5 years being treated for late stage Lyme disease and babesia, and don't ever want to go down this road again if I can avoid it. I make sure that our pup is current with his Frontline treatment, and if we're going into the deep woods, I also spray his paws & underbelly lightly with a combination of neem and water and a handful of other tick repelling essential oils. I also treat my clothing/shoes/boots with permethrine, as well as the base and first foot or so of our tent. (There is nothing more horrifying than finding a tick crawling on your pillow inside your tent!) I've switched to lighter-colored clothing so that any stubborn hitchhikers are easily seen. I've been using All Terrain Herbal Armor spray for years with very good results -- it even keeps mosquitos at bay! It does require re-application every so often, but it works and you don't smell like bug spray at the end of the day. When we all get home, everything goes into the dryer (tent included) and we all do a thorough tick check, pup included. 

Highlighted

@Lilabiene Doesn't sound like overkill to me if you've been dealing with Lymes! You should chat with your vet about how affective Frontline is in your area.  Our dog tested postive for Lymes even though he was on year-round, carefully administered frontline.  After talking with several vets I was told that a lot of people think that Frontline might be loosing it's effectiness, but the industry has not really made it public yet.  We switched to Bravecto a year ago and I have not found a live tick on our dog since, even after he sat down in a tick nest!  I'm not a vet and I think that it's probably regionally specific, so just a thought from a fellow tick hater.  

Highlighted

This is more under the header of bite prevention. I saw a video showing how after a hike you can use a lint roller (the sticky paper kind) to pick up ticks on the outside of your cloths. I'm going to try that as well as using it on my exposed skin before a tick check. 

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members