Highlighted

Summer hiking with infants

My husband and I are first time parents and we live in the Philippines where it is hot, humid and full of mosquitoes. And we love the outdoors and there are plenty of places to explore.

I'm curious what are the recommendations for infants for hiking - are there hiking backpacks that you recommend that limit help keep mama and baby not too drenched and sweaty? Any other equipment that is a must-have on hot days for infants?

Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Summer hiking with infants

@CarolynI can relate. For the first 3 years of my son's life we lived in Arizona. Even if you hiked early it was hot. When we carried our son I wished we would have had a child carrier from the Osprey Poco series. The back panel is super breathable which gives your back the ability to breath!

If your child is going to be hoofing it on the trail make sure you have great sun hat. We have the Outdoor Research Sun Runner hat. It has cooling features and an extended back to keep the sun off your sons neck.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, have fun and repeat!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@REI-DaveM thanks so much for your response! Will definitely look into the Osprey! Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the little dude starts liking hats more! 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sounds like you have a real infant, in which case the slings that you wear on front of you are better.  When they are bigger and can hold their head get a backpack.  The slings are better to start, balance it better, you can check on your little one easier, easier to shade.  However, makes you hotter as they are strapped on your chest.  Also, I couldn't carry our sons as long as my wife.  Too much back pain.   

We have a "Little Life" backpack that has a sunshade with it.  Its easy to hang it up on trees but it helps.  We also normally carry a reflective umbrella (go-lite, sorry the company is gone now).  Most important it keep the sun off of them and keep them in a good position in the carrier. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ahhh good to know! Thanks so much for the thoughtful response!

0 Likes
Featured