Highlighted

Seeking recommendations for a decent day hike guide for my daughter who lives in Jersey City

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Seeking recommendations for a decent day hike guide for my daughter who lives in Jersey City

@PBoehmke thanks for reaching out! We removed the following from your post because we weren't sure what it meant - "She is no woos. Heard of Napal?" Could you clarify?

Also knowing how far is she willing to travel from Jersey City for her day hikes may help with recommendations! We'll tag a few of our NJ/NY folks for ideas - @REI-AlyS @REI-BethC @REI-MelissaA 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Seeking recommendations for a decent day hike guide for my daughter who lives in Jersey City

@REI-JenK Sure, She has done the trek up to Base Camp. Trained in the Colorado Rockies with seven chick buds. Did her own training in the Hills of eastern TN when living in Nashville. She has been to South Africa, Namibia, Skied in Japan, Hiked in Vietnam, oh and spent time in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Greece, Norway and Eastern Australia. She also was a camp counselor twenty miles west of Haines Alaska on a Chilkat Indian Reservation for 6 weeks and slept on the floor of a one room school house the entire time.

She works from home and has since graduate school at at Georgetown. I am just trying to be helpful to my 36 year old daughter. She said she hiked part of the AT over the weekend although I have no idea where her nearest trail head might be.

Phil Boehmke

Highlighted

@PBoehmke 

Wow sounds like she has had some amazing adventures!!

I would recommend taking a look at the New York/ New Jersey Trail Conference site. They have a large system of trails and parks to recommend. Using their interactive map is a fun and easy way to narrow down exactly what type of hike she may be looking for!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Hi @REI-AlyS 

Yah, I am proud of her accomplishments at work, in life . . . oh and on the trail. Even though she is a "Type A, East Coast girl" she is sweet and will have any pet eating out of the palm of her hand at the drop of her dirty hat. Okay, you'd like her too. When I visit, we cook/bake, sorry I only wash as sous-sous-chef, and we give the remainders to friends, neighbors, the concierge, you get the idea. She said she hit the AT over the weekend . . . What trail head did she use? I mainly do the Whites' up here. One of my favorite routes is: Falling Waters up  . . . Franconia Ridge to traverse . . . and then Old Bridle Path on the way down. I would have to get a hotel now to pre-hike because of living on the ocean. I could send her a couple of guide books/maps . . . AMC, National Geo . . . others as appropriate. Yes, young people no longer use paper, but if you have ideas, please let me know. Her March Egypt/Portugal  trip was cancelled with www.FlashPack.com  As her father, I think a better substitute might be Israel. Yes, she is a driven woman. 😀

Highlighted

@PBoehmke 

I absolutely love spending time up in the Whites and The Notch is beautiful! 

When I first started day hiking I purchased a book with 60 hikes within 60 miles of Boston. I really enjoyed checking them off my list and grabbing friends and family on any given day off to join me! I’d take a look at this version which highlights 
60 Hikes within 60 Miles of New York City! This might be a fun way for her to explore the area as it does include spots in New Jersey as well.  

I can’t be exactly sure which trailhead she used to access the AT. Right now, I know some popular trail access points remain closed. Check out visitnj.org for some potential spots she could’ve linked up to the trail from Jersey. 

Hope this helps and thanks for the dialogue!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-AlyS Okay, so I ordered her the "60" book and recommended the .org NJ site to her as well.

The book in paperback, in good condition was $12.04 all included. USPS shipping will be slow though. Thanks for your thoughts. Just trying to be a helpful dad. Obviously, she found her own trail head. Shocker!

😎

PB 

Featured
Top liked members