Highlighted

Best day hikes near Manhattan around this time of year

New to Manhattan, I am looking for tips as for where to do some day hikes, as well as hiking buddies. I have just done the Long Path and Shore Loop in Palisades Interstate Park which was nice. What are some of your favorites around this area?

Labels (2)
Highlighted

Re: Best day hikes near Manhattan around this time of year

Hello @hikoo! Welcome to the Conversations community!

It's been a while since I have been up that way, but I had some enjoyable experiences on the Bear Mountain hike in Bear Mountain State Park and the 10 mile loop trail around Pine Meadow Lake in Harriman State Park. Both parks are maybe 40 miles outside of the city so if you want to make a day of your getaway, I would take a look at those!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Best day hikes near Manhattan around this time of year

Hi @hikoo! Welcome to New York. 

I live in NYC and there are many great places to go in and around the city. Since you've done part of the Long Path, you can keep exploring different sections of it as day trips. The Harriman State Park section is especially nice (and intersects with the Appalachian Trail there as well). The Rockland Lake/Hook Mountain section is nice too with great views of the Hudson River. Check out our local grant partner New York-New Jersey Trail Conference for maps, directions, and volunteer opportunities. 

Enjoy! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members