Highlighted

What National Parks did you get to see in 2019?

This year I got to visit Santa Rosa Island for the first time and I fell in love! Santa Rosa Island is part of the Channel Islands National Park, located just west of the Southern California coastline and it’s the 2nd largest island in California! There are 3 endemic mammals on the island; the island fox, island spotted skunk, and island deer mouse. You travel to the island by boat & you backpack in all of your gear 1.5 miles to camp. It is really special because it’s so secluded. There is potable water, restrooms and picnic tables, but that’s it! No store, no restaurant, no paved roads. It’s you, the vast open space and just a handful of other campers. I think it might be my new favorite National Park.

So, how about you?! Share with our community a National Park you visited in 2019! 

Tide Pools on Santa Rosa IslandTide Pools on Santa Rosa IslandBecher's Bay - Santa Rosa IslandBecher's Bay - Santa Rosa Island

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: What National Parks did you get to see in 2019?

I totally agree with your appreciation of Santa Rosa Island.  I was fortunate enough to serve on the staff of Channel islands National park for several years and i have witnessed many changes.  The end of grazing in 1998 and the removal of pigs resulted in profound developments of island life, although archaeologicl sites are harder than ever to find.

The island is a far cry from the teeming urban areas just across the channel .  Now a proposed Wilderness Area, travel is mostly by foot or paddle craft.  Solitude is available in abundance; may it ever be so...

Highlighted

Re: What National Parks did you get to see in 2019?

In the Spring I hiked the Chilnualna Falls trail and Vernal falls trail in Yosemite. In the Summer I visited the eastern side of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks as part of a JMT/PCT section hike from Horseshoe Meadow (via Cottonwood Pass) to Onion Valley (via Kearsarge Pass) taking in Mt. Whitney summit. I also visited Yosemite again later in the Summer, twice. I did not do much in the way of hiking then due to other commitments but I did managed a quick visit to the Glacier Point area and hiked the short trails to Sentinel Dome and Taft Point also visiting the Mariposa Grove. Apart from Vernal falls which I have hiked several times over the years, the rest was new to me. All awesome and worthy although the trail to Vernal falls is probably one of the busiest in any National Park and seemed to be at its busiest when we visited on what may have been the first good sunny weekend of the Spring.

Featured