Highlighted

Summit Hiking Yellowstone--Extreme Picnicking!

Okay, years ago I fell in love with summit hiking in Yellowstone and the Tetons; We loved trying to bag peaks/summits in a single day--we called it "extreme picnicking" because the goal was to have lunch on a mountain summit and be back down for some wildlife spotting in the evening. Does anyone else love this style of dayhiking and what are your favorites in the greater Yellowstone region?

Labels (3)
Highlighted

Re: Summit Hiking Yellowstone--Extreme Picnicking!

Not in the Yellowstone region, but YES! I basically go hiking for PB&Js in pretty places ha

0 Likes
Highlighted

Love it! I'm headed to Yellowstone and the Tetons this summer and haven't been there since I was a kid. What are your favorite hikes to recommend?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@AnneSW 

In Yellowstone, Avalanche peak is always our warmup (we'll do it the same day as Washburn), and you can traverse over and get Hoyt along with it. Fun hike, not very crowded.

Electric Peak is a great journey with an intense find-your-own-way-up at the end, but its a pretty stiff day-hike (I think its 22 miles via Glenn Creek Trailhead and you have to effectively pack-in all of your water)

Bighorn peak is fantastic, it gets you on a bit of the Sky Rim trail, accessed from Dailey Creek Trailhead is a bit out of the way, but you'll feel like you own the mountain: we've only ever encountered one other party on this hike; but plenty of sheep!

Republic Pass (accessed from Cooke City) is quite a lovely hike in a not too traveled section

Baronette peak is an epic bushwhack...and a roller coaster...lots of up, lots of down, no real trail.

Trout Lake is a must--easy hike, plus the bonus of otter viewing if youre lucky! (downside: tourists and fisherman)

In the Tetons...

There is Garnet canyon (of course) which gets you to The Meadows 🙂

Buck Mountain is a fantastic adventure (and an excining climb at the end.  Non-technical, but depending on the season, and axe and crampons (and knowing how to use them) buys a little confidence. The last 600' is quite exciting! 

If you're going to take the Cascade Creek trail up to Lake solitude, it is of course lovely but a VERY busy trail. 

Five star review for Lake of the Crags; it is is fantastic and very low traffic (even though it is basically next to inspiration point). We did this hike and encountered no other parties!  I cannot speak highly enough of this hike!

Highlighted

This is an incredible list, thank you so much, @Scott! I'm so excited to get hiking!

0 Likes
Highlighted

We were at Trout Lake(1.5 miles) in late June.  The 4 foot wide inlet creek was filled with spawning bright red trout about 20 inches long.  I think they were cutthroat, but don't quote me.  It was as the saying "You could walk across".  It was one of my most vidid memories of Yellowstone. 

0 Likes
Featured