Highlighted

Big Bend back country backpacking trip

Looking to go out on a 5 to 7 day backpacking trip to Big Bend in early November 2020. I've been backpacking for 15 plus years I love the US but never at big bend. Would like to go on a big loop if possible looking for any information I can get. Like where to park for multiple days best place to start my trip campsites you would recommend. In anything else that would be applicable. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Big Bend back country backpacking trip

Hi @Theodule! Thanks for reaching out on Conversations!

Several years ago I was on a road trip and passed through Big Bend. I've been itching to go back ever since! Don't know how far you are into planning the hike, but if a loop trail is what you're looking for then I would suggest one of the many loop options involving Emory Peak. Several trails converge in the area, so you can customize the length and terrain variation of your loop experience! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Theodule The park website:  https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/backpacking_chisos.htm

Useful info here on back country use in Big Bend.  looks like lots of good stuff is available.

Big Bend was the first NP I ever visited (in fifth grade, about 1948 or so), so my personal views are a bit dated - the park has changed quite a bit since then......

Highlighted

@Theodule I'm originally from Texas and started my backpacking there. Particularly loved the Chisos Mountain area.

I recently looked at going back (it's been over 30yrs) and finding loops with water at decent intervals is still the challenging factor.

I saw some good vids on youtube with decent loops, and a great vid of a rafting trip down the rio grande.

good luck (I know, not much help)

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @Philreedshikes since you spent time in the Chisos area, have you spent time in that campground? @Theodule did mention being open to campsite suggestions, and I've heard good things about that area.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

yes I spent a lot of time in the chisos basin campground.  But it was a long time ago, I'm sure things have changed.

I mostly remember the clear, cool air high above the desert floor.

I believe they now have a few amenities not present in the 70's.

That said, it was about 10hrs or so from Dallas.  Knowing what I know now, I'd probably opt for the 12hr drive to the Weminuche Wilderness in Co.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members