Highlighted

Activities on the Rogue River

My wife and I will be spending two nights on the Rogue River in Grants Pass, OR, in October. This gives us one afternoon and one full day to spend being active on or near the river. We're generally looking for good hiking trails (in the 3-6 mile range) - near the water would be ideal. We're also open to other activities on the water itself.

Thanks for any suggestions based on your experiences.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Activities on the Rogue River

If you're looking for hiking trails near the water then I would recommend the Rogue River Trail.  There's a short out and back hike that takes you to Rainie Falls.  It starts on the south side of the river at Grave Creek . Take the Merlin exit #61 and go west towards Galice for about 22 miles.  Whisky Creek is another good day hike along the Rogue River trail, it's about 3.3 miles one way.

In Grants Pass there's a couple of companies that do jet boat trips and river rafting trips.  I've never gone on one of their day trips but it's on my list of things to do.

Another option is to go up towards the headwaters of the Rogue.  It's about an hour drive to Prospect and while the gorge trail is short (less than a mile) there are trails that continue along the river to make it a longer hike.  Union Creek is a little further up the road but the Union Creek trail takes you through some old growth forest and is really beautiful.  At that point, you're only 22 miles from Crater Lake so that you could make it a full day-trip.

October is a great time of year to visit the area - I hope ya'll have a great time!

Highlighted

Re: Activities on the Rogue River

good suggestions @happyhiker.  I like the hike starting at the bridge at Grave Creek, but seeing the boat ramp always makes me wish I was there to float the wild and scenic section downstream.  

0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category