Highlighted

Backpacking destination - SoCal

I am looking for a backpacking destination for family of 4. Kids are 11 and 14 and in pretty good shape. If dogs could go, too, that would be a plus. Our plan was Mosquito Flats in Mammoth the weekend of 10/24-35, but that's a no-go due to all the fires. This would be my kids' first backpacking trip, so would like it to be something not boring and scenic so that they will want to go again. My husband and I did Mt. San Jacinto in Idyllwild a few months back.

Highlighted

Re: Backpacking destination - SoCal

@cmgilliatt There are lots of choices in SoCal, and I would nominate the Sespe Wilderness and adjacent areas for your consideration.  You have a nice stream the Sespe, and lots of peaks.  Lots of options for various trips.  how long a trip are you contemplating?

Highlighted

Sweet! Will look into this one. First trip out will just be an overnighter. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @cmgilliatt another suggestion would be to check out San Gorgonio. It's a long hike to the summit, but you can always camp at halfway camp (not really halfway) or high camp to make it a shorter adventure for the kids. 

Another suggestion- check out the Mosquito Lakes area near Mineral King. This is in the southern Sierras, but on the western side. One of my first and most memorable backpack trips. It has some great alpine lakes, a shorter hike in, and a pretty cool drive to the trailhead too. 

Hope this helps! 
Jim 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members