Highlighted

Hiking in Vegas

I’ve lived in Vegas for two years now and have been very pleasantly surprised by the number of outdoor options nearby... it is much more than the strip. I read an article recently that said in 2018 the Red Rock Canyon national conservation area (25 minutes from my house) received more visitors than Bryce Canyon and other well known national parks. 

Anyway, I’ve been exploring as often as possible and have found some favorite trails, especially in Red Rock and up around Mt. Charleston. These have included the Upper Bristlecone Pine-Bonanza-No Name loop in Lee Canyon, Catherdral Rock in Kyle Canyon, Raintree + Fletcher Peak, and Turtlehead Peak in Red Rock.

Does anyone else have some favorites to share in the area? 

Labels (3)
Highlighted

Re: Hiking in Vegas

Red Rock Canyon is great. Have you ventured out to Valley of Fire State Park?

Highlighted

Just once so far... I need to explore it more. My kids had a blast in the Seven Sisters area and have been asking to go back!

0 Likes
Highlighted

This easterner recently vacationed for a week in Las Vegas and spent four mornings out at Red Rock Canyon. I would arrive before the gate opened and once in, hike a couple hours before the temps really went up. The hardest was the Calico Tanks Trail up beyond the tanks to the sloping ledge offering an incredible view of Las Vegas and the Valley. I wanted to try the trail up to Turtlehead Peak but I was hiking alone and did not have my trekking poles or all the ten essentials I would have wanted, so that hike will have to wait for another visit.

Highlighted

Calico Tanks is definitely a favorite. I hope you do get to tackle Turtlehead Peak! It’s views are incredibly rewarding.

0 Likes
Highlighted

If allowed, here is a link to my blog post about hiking in Red Rock Canyon.

http://summittoshore.blogspot.com/2019/07/four-mornings-in-red-rock-canyon_20.html

Highlighted

Red Rock is great for a quick, close dose of great hiking. My favorite in the area is the Mt Charleston area, specifically the South Loop trail to Mt Charleston, which rivals the beauty of any national park.

Highlighted

Thanks for the link! This is a fantastic guide you’ve put together. I’d like to do that hike one of these days.

Highlighted

I was just looking through some old issues of BACKPACKER and saw a two pages spread, pages 8 and 9, on the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area in the March 2019 edition. It includes a photo of Red Creek Canyon at Sunrise.

0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category