Highlighted

John at 8000'

I have hesitated to introduce myself because at my core I'm a private person.  But I'm sure there are others on this forum who are as well.   I decided to share a little about myself to encourage them to come out a bit.

I live in a small town in the mountains of Colorado.  I am most days hiking solo, but often with my wife and dog.  Sometimes I'll backpack solo or with a friend to summit an obscure mountain, usually one without a name.  I set a goal for myself a few years ago to summit 164 summits in our county, and I have three to go.  Heading out to get one of them in a couple of days.

My favorite piece of gear is my hearing aids.  Yep.  I can hear birds again!  In my former life I was a music teacher.  The best job in the world, except for the pay and hearing loss!  

My favorite times on trail have included Cadillac Mountain in the clouds, summiting Mt. Whitney on the first day of school after retiring, a tiny little peak that was basically a 400' boulder that was a puzzle to solve without going 5th class, and watching my pooch gleefully finding a snowbank after a long uphill slog.

My scariest experience was May 18th, 1980 in the PNW.  We almost died.  Our 1970 Westy saved us.  Really.  That's enough of that story.  

I'm really a friend chap on the trail, so don't hesitate to say hi!

Highlighted

Re: John at 8000'

@johnt Thanks for introducing yourself!

Congrats on nearly accomplishing your goal of climbing the 164 summits in your county! I'm not sure any creature on earth has as much fun as a dog on snow after a long uphill slog. Thank you so much for sharing a little about yourself!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: John at 8000'

Welcome @johnt !  Glad you decided to open up and share a bit about yourself.  Although, your accomplishments make mine pale in comparison.  🙂

0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category